Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

CPU Overload

Ok, since installing Vanilla my hosting was suspended and then reactivated with this message:

"During a the last check, we noticed that your domain is using excessive amount of resources (60% of Ram) on the server, subsequently causing a reduction in speed for all clients on the server.

In a shared hosting environment, resources are shared with all other clients on the server. This means each client has to abide to our fair use restrictions for CPU and Memory usage, and your account falls outside of these boundaries.

Action needs to be taken to ensure this is corrected because we will not allow servers to run at a sub-optimal level. I suggest you to upgrade your account to a VPS account.
"

I had no idea what VPS was then googled and know about it now, though nothing of it.

Anyway, who's been through this and where is the cheapest, best VPS hosting that will accommodate a Vanilla forum?

Answers

• Err you are the only user, but you seem to have generated a lot of content between the 19-21. depending on how you did this it might have caused that load.

Having said that you don't sound like you have a great host, given all the error you have been having.

grep is your friend.

• This is an old thread.... but.... check out DigitalOcean. SSD based VPS for CHEEEAAAP

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@jackjitsu said:

How do I lobby the Vanilla Forums development team to vastly improve the speed of their code :)
    Vanilla seems to use 10X the CPU phpbb does.

I assume you could either pay them an awful lot of money so that they can buy resources for that development or you can be that man! If you have feedback on how to improve something, and your improvement will make Vanilla 10 times faster, everyone will be thankful ;-)

You can start by finding out the bottlenecks. businessdad has given you some hints on how to find out. Maybe if you can tell others where the problem exactly is, they might know a solution

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@jackjitsu said:
    How do I lobby the Vanilla Forums development team to vastly improve the speed of their code :)
    Vanilla seems to use 10X the CPU phpbb does.

As I suggested in another thread, you could do some profiling on your server and provide the results to the team. It will help them focusing on the slowest part, removing some of the investigation required to find them.

Preemptive answer to "shouldn't Vanilla team do that job?": that's true, and I'm sure they will, but then you just have to patiently wait until they reach that point in their schedule. If you wish to have it done faster, then you will have to give them a hand.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@x00 said:
    I can understand the spirit in which PRISM and Tempora might be implemented is not necessarily cynical. It is smart people thinking of ways to collate data. However, it goes down a very dangerous path of infringing on our rights.

However be lucky we don't live in place like China and Russia. They are not going to respond to criticism of their programs, or even acknowledge them.

In fact I'm not surprised that so much data is sucked from company servers. Everything that is possible will be done now and in future times.

I'm frightened that some guy (David Miranda) has been held captive for about 8 hours by UK officials because he is the partner of a journalist who interviewed someone that the US government dislikes. That's showing that there are already laws existing which grants a civilized country to act arbitrary on anybody they like, without consequences. That's something we've only seen in some dictatorships before.

And I'm frightened because countries like France and Portugal forced the head of a state (Bolivians president Morales) to land it's plane because someone spread a rumor that he was traveling in company of Edward Snowden.

And I'm deeply discouraged, that not more statesmen are acting like Dilma Rousseff: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/17/usa-security-snowden-brazil-idUSL2N0HD13S20130917

You can't change a democracy over night to a land where citizens are no longer saved by the law. That's a slow process and I'm afraid we're seeing the first signs and nobody has the balls to stop it.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

That's showing that there are already laws existing which grants a civilized country to act arbitrary on anybody they like, without consequences.

In the USA it is called the Patriot Act. And we have seen all kinds of abuses under that guise. The USA has always acted by wielding it's big stick . Look back in History and you will see that it's long arm reaches even where they say they don't go. Large government run on secrecy and stealth.

You can't change a democracy over night to a land where citizens are no longer saved by the law.

It has been done. Democracy is only an exercise in futility because it is not respected . We are only slightly better off than other countries in the "Complain about your rights" department.

These days the only way to get your complaint heard is through the media. If enough people raise a ruckus, then someone comes out and tries to explain or cover up or face up. If it gets too big on the street they bring in the tear gas and water canons. So the media campaigns seem to work better.

The world is controlled by a consortium of the wealthiest people. It is how it has always been and will be until someone looks at Utopia once more as a solution and figures out how to get rid of Greed from our gene pool .