Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Documentation] Vanilla Porter: can't migrate from phpBB3

ProsperoProspero New
edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, I'm trying to import my phpBB3 forum into my Vanilla 2 installation. I'm doing everything according to the guide and it seems to go fine (the porter creates a nice file, the amount of posts/discussions is correct etc.) until I try to import the file.

This is what I get when I begin importing after I enter the old admin e-mail and password.

No data received
Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

What may be the problem here? Can anybody help me?

Answers

• ProsperoProspero New
    edited April 2012

Just wanted to add - I tried enabling debug as suggested here, but it's still the same. Firefox shows server error, Chrome shows the same error as above.

• try a different browser.

grep is your friend.

• I hope you're trying to import on your localhost.

Just curious, are you using Xampp on your localhost or did you set up Apache, PHP and MySQL yourself? On Windows 7 or Linux?

One suggestion could be to check 'use my current password'

You could also place the .txt.gz file in your uploads directory, so the 'server' will not have to upload it again.

After you added the debug lines, your result is the same, but do you get different screens than without debug?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

If your import is really big I recommend ftping it to Vanilla's /uploads folder. If you kept the name of the file as the one Vanilla made it then it will show up as an option and you won't have to upload it through the browser.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2012

btw unrealted but you might try PorterPlus, it has a bunch of phpBB fixes, as phpBB puts a lot of weird artefacts in the text fields.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15933183/porterplus/porterplus.php

grep is your friend.

1. I'm not on localhost unfortunately.
    2. The file is not big, it's about 2,6 Mb. I'm trying to transfer a small forum with about 3000 posts.
    3. Tried Firefox/Chrome/Opera, everywhere it dies as soon as I click on "Start import".
    4. I thought it might be CHMOD-related, so I've put 777 on pretty much everything.
    5. I will try PorterPlus and report later.

PS: Tried checking "use my current password", no difference.

After you added the debug lines, your result is the same, but do you get different screens than without debug?

It's 100% the same. It's really like something prevents the script from working as I the error literally right after I click on "Start import". So it's not like it starts, hits a roadblock and then comes up with an error, it's more like it can't start at all.