Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
After February 6, this site will no longer have Facebook, Twitter, or OpenID sign-in options. Read our announcement about social media SSO support in 2.8 for more info.

Make sure you have a current, valid email address set in your profile and set a password so you can login without it. If you get locked out after that time, you can choose "Forgot Password" to fix it as long as a valid email is on your account.
Please upgrade to 2.3 here. The 2.2 and earlier branches are no longer being updated.

Vanilla Forum On Managed DigitalOcean

edited January 2 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.3

I have been running my ecommerce store hosted on managed digitalOcean server provided by Cloudways as it is not easy to install and manage the server all by your own especially when you are not willing to pay any extra charges to DigitalOcean cpanel.
Now, I am looking to add vanila forum to my online store. I know that I can host it through the DigitalOcean server but I am not sure about the managed one as it is hosted on third party platform.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... Moderator

@DeliaSchulman

Welcome to the community.

It's not really clear what you are asking.

If you have a question about hosted Vanilla you should ask here:

https://support.vanillaforums.com/

(although @Adrian - that page is currently reporting an error.)

Regarding your comment

it is not easy to install and manage the server all by your own

I would disagree. I self-host with DO; it is not trivial, but with the amount of documentation available, it is straightforward.

I get that you may not have the time or inclination, but didn't want others to potentially be put off.

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

@whu606 The difference between managed (virtual) servers and "plain" (virtual) servers is that the hosting company is doing the sysadmin tasks for their customers - I assume its mainly being paid for doing apt get update, apt get upgrade regularly :mrgreen:

@DeliaSchulman it should be no problem. You should have a dedicated database for Vanilla, but it would also be possible (though not recommended) to use an existing whatever-ecommerce database. You have to decide if you want to have "vanilla.example.com" or "example.com/vanilla" as your forums url. But since you are already paying for a managed server, you should know if creating databases and virtual hosts part of the service. Beyond that you only need to upload the unzipped files and follow the installation steps.

If you are completely new to things like that, you should consider installing XAMPP or something like that on your local machine and do something like a dry run there.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited January 2

@whu606 thanks for the mention and stepping in. We are revamping the hosted community forum for support at the moment, but truthfully questions about hosted should be directed here. @DeliaSchulman please reach out via the form here for any questions about our hosted solution and a member of our team will be in touch. Thanks everyone :)

Sharing is caring