HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Social media SSO changes coming in Vanilla 2.8 (February 6)

LincLinc Detroit Admin

In Vanilla 2.8, we are making a few changes to our SSO (single sign-on) offerings in Vanilla.

• Facebook & Twitter sign-in options will remain in Vanilla and are still fully supported for use on your sites.
  • OpenID is being removed. Its use is extremely low, few major providers remain, and it continues to have security issues.
  • Google+ is being removed. This is due to Google ending support for it.

We plan to release a Google Sign In replacement for Google+, but it may not be included in the 2.8 release. We'll announce our final decision with the release on February 6.

Comments

• jhayes88jhayes88 New
    edited January 2019

Nooo I use steam sign in on my website which relies on openID. :( lol. I actually had issues trying to get Facebook sign-in to work on my site. Google+ is a given since almost nobody uses it and like you said Google is ending support for it. A Google sign in would be amazing.

One thing I would like to see is to be able to go into your profile and easily register these services to your already existing account. A simple user-friendly option to "Add Google/Facebook/Twitter/Etc to your account" or "Add social sign-on to your account".

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@jhayes88 said:
    Nooo I use steam sign in on my website which relies on openID.

We can just put it on the addon directory if some folks want to carry on.

I think the newer version of Steam SSO doesn't use OpenID, so perhaps that addon could use an update.