Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

ČĆŽÄ?Å Ä?ćžđš

minimlminiml New
edited April 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
ČĆŽÄ?Å Ä?ćžđš

utf-8 testing

Comments

• As you can all see, it would be a great idea to add proper utf-8 support to Vanilla.
  • cmaciascmacias New
    edited March 2005
    ČĆŽĐŠčćžđš Are you sure ? 8¬)
  • > Are you sure ? 8¬)

I don't know what you mean with that. Yes, I'm sure.
  • It's a joke ! (se dice así ?) I don't know what it means "ČĆŽĐŠčćžđš". Do you understand ? it is not my intention to bother (No es mi intención molestar)
  • minimlminiml New
    edited March 2005
    Oh, that are just some Croatian characters, it doesn't have any meaning, it's purpose is to test utf-8.

But, encoding sent-out by the server is ISO-8859-1, and there is no support to utf-8.
  • In Spain, there is a Refrain that says "Nunca te acostarás sin saber una cosa más"
    "You never go to bed, without know a new thing" ;)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I hate these encoding issues. I'm open to suggestions from anyone that has one. Maybe a function for encoding/decoding from form submit, to saving to database, to displaying on screen.

Keeping in mind that html entered in discussion titles should be encoded.
  • Well, I didn't post any HTML in title, that are just Croatian characters.

The solution is right in your hands. Just make sure that both input and output is set in utf-8 and you're done. Also, that character encoding is properly set by server:

`AddType text/html;charset=utf-8 .php`

or this, so that everything is in utf-8:

`AddDefaultCharset utf-8`

But I'm not sure is the last example correct, I know it goes something like that...
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, I see what you're saying.
    I was hoping to do something within php itself so that someone who wants to use vanilla, but has no control over their server settings, can get the proper encoding.
  • minimlminiml New
    edited March 2005
    Well of course, even better then!

Use this for that:

<?php
    header('content-type:text/html;charset=utf-8');
    ?>

IIRC.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    There ya go, thanks a lot for the help :)
  • BORKED!!!!
  • > BORKED!!!!

Yes, maybe, because before encoding was iso. I will open new thread with the same characters to properly test it.
  • cool :) the oldest discussion on this forum, and it was made on my 25th birthday :D
  • wow cool, the was the first one?
This discussion has been closed.