Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

parsererror and upgrading Vanilla2

edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Everytime I try to post something on my copy of vanilla(it's about a week old), it gives me this error, but it still posts the message.

A fatal error occurred while processing the request. The server returned the following response: parsererror

I don't know what it means, how to fix it, or even is it was something that was fixed recently.

Also, I was wondering how do you update to the latest files of Vanilla 2 on my website? I am not really good at this stuff, and I see there has at least been CSS changes in the last week, so I'd like to update.

Comments

• Hi,

I also got this problem. Any luck working it out?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Get Firebug, open it, and monitor the console when you do the post. Garden is expecting a json response from the server, but the server is hitting some kind of error and not returning proper json - which is why you get a "parser error" from jquery (it couldn't parse the json response because it wasn't proper json).

You should be able to look at the response of the ajax request (your post) and see the actual error that was hit.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    btw - we know this is a messy way of debugging - we're working on a fix so you can see the actual error.

Oh - and if I were to wild-guess, I'd say it has something to do with failing to send out email notifications as the comment is posted.
  • I don't really have time to do this now, but I'll work on it a bit tomorrow and get back to you.
  • I just cloned the git repo to give Vanilla2 a try, and I have this same problem when trying to start a discussion. Here's the JSON repsonse I found with firebug:

FATAL ERROR IN: Gdn_Database.Query();
    "Unknown column 'c2.ReplyCommentID' in 'where clause'"
    select max(c.CommentID) as `LastCommentID`, max(c.DateInserted) as `DateLastComment`, count(c.CommentID) as `CountComments`, d.Sink as `Sink`
    from GDN_Comment c
    join GDN_Discussion d on c.DiscussionID = d.DiscussionID
    where c2.ReplyCommentID is null
    and c.DiscussionID = :cDiscussionID
    group by d.Sink
    > 220:
    > 221: if (!is_object($PDOStatement)) {
    > 222: trigger_error(ErrorMessage('PDO Statement failed to prepare', $this->ClassName, 'Query', $this->GetPDOErrorMessage($this->Connection()->errorInfo())), E_USER_ERROR);
    > 223: } else if ($PDOStatement->execute($InputParameters) === FALSE) {
    >>> 224: trigger_error(ErrorMessage($this->GetPDOErrorMessage($PDOStatement->errorInfo()), $this->ClassName, 'Query', $Sql), E_USER_ERROR);
    > 225: }
    > 226: } else {
    > 227: $PDOStatement = $this->Connection()->query($Sql);
    > 228: }
    BACKTRACE:
    [/www/vanilla2/library/database/class.database.php] PHP::ErrorHandler();
    [/www/vanilla2/library/database/class.database.php 224] PHP::trigger_error();
    [/www/vanilla2/library/database/class.sqldriver.php 1493] Gdn_Database->Query();
    [/www/vanilla2/library/database/class.sqldriver.php 609] Gdn_SQLDriver->Query();
    [/www/vanilla2/applications/vanilla/models/class.commentmodel.php 291] Gdn_SQLDriver->Get();
    [/www/vanilla2/applications/vanilla/models/class.commentmodel.php 228] Gdn_CommentModel->UpdateCommentCount();
    [/www/vanilla2/applications/vanilla/models/class.discussionmodel.php 354] Gdn_CommentModel->Save();
    [/www/vanilla2/applications/vanilla/controllers/post.php 84] Gdn_DiscussionModel->Save();
    [/www/vanilla2/library/core/class.dispatcher.php 227] PostController->Discussion();
    [/www/vanilla2/index.php 41] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();
  • lucluc ✭✭
    Disable VanillaReplies, it hasn't been kept up to date, it's likely to be the source of this error.