Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Joomla vs Drupal

kaoskaos New
edited April 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
What do you think?
I think that drupal is really easy to use and that Joomla is harder. its definatly more complex :/. Just wondering what i should use if any or create my own site with my own intergrated forums :/

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I have no experience with Joomla. I've used Drupal and found that it was a little too powerful for my purposes - if that's possible.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I think they're both a bit too developer-centric. It really depends on what you plan to do on your site. If you're just doing a blog and/or pages, I'd go with Wordpress.
  • Having mucked around with Drupal I agree with both @Mark and @Lincoln. Drupal's a very powerful, deep piece of software with a very steep learning curve. If you just want a blog and forums then you've got Wordpress, Vanilla and Single Sign-On ;)
  • @Stash I dont understand how single sign in works can you explain
  • @isolationz, no! I haven't yet used it myself :D I plan on shortly, but for now, you're better off asking someone else I'm afraid.
  • @Stash thanks :D
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @isolationz - Single Sign-on just makes it so that when users register or sign in through an external application (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, whatever), they are automatically registered and signed into Vanilla, too.
  • @Mark thanks for this :D
  • bobthemanbobtheman
    edited April 2010
    at the risk of starting a conflicting argument

i prefer joomla over drupal, and wordpress over both. Joomla and drupal are in my opinion not admin friendly and are developer centric. Wordpress is great but... Garden/Vanilla will be better. There is a custom pages plugin for v2 out now, and a CMS type application in development. The Garden application is planed to support not only basic content management like blogging and articles, but a wiki system also. Im stoked.

current pages plugin for v2: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/536/custom-pages

though i recognize a need for single sign on, I prefer and support vanilla.
  • @Bobtheman there is a single sign in plugin http://vanillaforums.org/page/SingleSignOn
  • @isolationz
    im aware of the plugin, I just think a vanilla/garden solution is a better choice than using WP, drupal or joomla. Until the loop is closed, i recognize the need of the SSO plugin.
  • Joomla is for the little dogs, and Drupal is for the big dogs. end. case. point.