Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Post discussion button

edited April 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I find the new location of the post button being to the right completely in the wrong place. I just downloaded a new version of garden, haven't done so in a while, and went to make a post and just instinctively clicked save draft as i assumed that would be where post discussion should be. It seems as if they should be the other way round, we read from left to right so the button with the higher precedence should be at the left.

Comments

• <devilsadvocate>Not everyone agrees with you ;)</devilsadvocate>
  • Well clearly they're are wrong :) (just joking) but it does seem a little unnatural.
  • i agree with you @garymardell i support moving Post back to the left side, it feels unnatural.
  • I'm sure it's a purely personal thing, but I wonder why you find it unnatural?

The two other big boys in online forums (vB and phpBB) both put all their buttons in the middle by default, but with the post button on the right side of the "Draft/Preview/Post" button group.
  • On vb for example, the submit or post button is to the left of preview.

But it feels unnatural because your eyes don't really scan all the way to the right most of the time you look left as you read from left to right. It seems better the way it is on this forum.
  • right, there are no other buttons im looking to press (no bbcode, no wysiwyg editor) so the first thing im looking to press is post.
  • StashStash
    edited April 2010
    Personally I don't like the way either vB or phpBB do it - they suffer form the same issue that I think Vanilla (1 and 2) suffers from, namely, the "Save Draft" and "Preview" buttons are right next to the "Post Comment" button. I strongly believe they shouldn't be right next to each other.

Random thought, how would it work having "post" as the only button beneath the post?

There was some discussion in the other thread about the possibility of having "Preview/Edit" as, for the sake of argument, tabs running across the top of the comment box. This might work quite nicely if the comment box was given a max-height s it didn't push the tabs off the screen.

Thoughts?

If I get a chance I'll try and put together some mockups.
  • I think i may have even agreed with the tab idea in the other thread, having post alone seems a very logical next step. Vanilla aims to be simple, and how much more simple can you get than a one button system.

Preview in a separate tab would leave room for other tabs to be included, for example a poll tab or media attachments (like facebook style). As far as i can tell - by pressing enter a lot - there is already a max height set.

Not sure what you would do with the save draft button, is it really a necessary anyway. Same with removing cancel and maybe even the back to discussions link.
  • if anything make the Post comment button a button (like it is) and make the other 3 options all text links like "cancel"