Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0 RC1

Comments

• @bobtheman
    is php running as a cgi? (I'm guessing so .. under suexec) and the php files aren't owned by the user that php is running as.

Happens all the time on my host, and it is ALWAYS file ownership
  • Looks like it might just require 5.3. It fails to install on my 5.2.9 server (It installs, but does not run), but works fine on my 5.3 laptop, which is actually less studly than the server.
    It's really difficult to diagnose. I've done a number of installs and wipes. Tried installing v.1 first. It's the server's config.
    I'm gonna have to give up for a while.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @bobtheman Just did a successful export from vBulletin; now going to go work on finishing up the importer. Once the framework is done the other forum packages will follow in shorter order.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    @MagShare your problem is most certainly an issue with the web server and not php. @Tim is currently debugging nginx and fastcgi which should hopefully help you with your install.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    nginx/fastcgi works fine. That's what I've used since I installed it.
    I haven't had time to upgrade to rc1 though, so I can't vouch for that particular relase.
  • Thanks, Todd and Lincoln!

I can work with you quite a bit. The symptom is that classes aren't being instantiated. You can also see this in some of the AJAX dialogs and whatnot (none of them work).

You can consider that [broken] install to be a lab, and I can help you to debug it.

The Web server is run by Nexcess, and they run us.php.net. I'd *hope* it would a solid PHP server.
  • Thanks @Mark and @Dykam.
  • Nice! I reported some bugs (not sure if it is) already.
    And oh yeh, fix the link here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/9714/how-to-submit-a-bug-report/
  • Great! Many thanxs...
    It works nicely..
  • blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    A few teething problems since updating from the old version (especially with plugins, and a few other bugs too) but on the whole it's awesome, love it - great work guys!
  • blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Okay, on closer inspection maybe there's a few more things.

I love Vanilla, we've been using it for years and everyone has nothing but praise for it, but unfortunately RC1 has broken a few things which we really liked before. Is it easy enough to go back? Where would I even download it from?

• How long will support for Vanilla 1 last once Vanilla 2 is made final?

Rich::
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @blizeH - What has it broken that you want back? You can download Vanilla 1 right here on VanillaForums.org, but you really should just restore the backup that I know you made :)

@Simba Cub - Community support for Vanilla 1 will be available as long as there are people here still using it. We will continue to have the download available here on VanillaForums.org indefinitely.
  • blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    @Mark - :D thanks dude, I do have a backup, but I was actually running the original Vanilla 2 code from before the RC1! I think part of that is what has caused the problems in some circumstances.

It's silly little things that people are noticing unfortunately, I like a lot of the new changes and am happy to roll with it, but it's mostly things like the auto refresh making people miss new posts, and other silly little things like that.

But I'm getting around them slowly so it's no problem! I've disabled auto refresh, and a few other things are now sorted toooooo! \o/

You're doing an amazing job fair play, I love Vanilla forums.
  • This is fantastic news!
  • Maybe I'm missing something but can someone please clarify; is there currently a way within the RC1 release to import from a Vanilla 1 forum to a new install of Vanilla 2?

All I've got is this reference: 'Use this page to import data from another forum that was exported using Vanilla's exporter.' on the Import page, but no exporter.
  • So since this is RC, I'm guessing it's safe to start working on own themes? Or are the style/themes template going to go through more changes?
  • I'm waiting on an answer to the Rackspace problem. Sticking with phpBB until then.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    @scooter I don't think the importer should be tried until rc2. I've done a lot of work on it and tested it with some Vanilla 1 imports. Would love it if the community would help test with their Vanilla 1 installs.

To answer your question. There is another php script called the Vanilla Porter that you put on the server with the database that you want to export and it generates an export file. The bulk of the porter was done by @Lincoln and is on github right now. I guess we should make this waaaay more clear. Sorry about that.
  • Hi.
    Congrats for this awesome tool that I've just discovered. It looks very promising.
    However, I've tried to install it on my localhost and I encountered lot of problems.. like basic account creation not working (returns a access denied error).
    Any idea when the 2.0 stable will be released ?

Thanks and keep up the good work.