Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Force Guest Sign In

rakrak
edited May 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Force Guest Sign In

Comments

• I think you should report the fact that non-logged-in people can see the details of people.
  • Unfortunately this also seems to block applicants from seeing the terms of service. (dashboard/home/termsofservice)
  • @InStim: Good tip! I've updated to allow viewing of termsofservice
  • Updated again so that the username and email checking AJAX works correctly on the Registration page.
  • Thanks for the update!
  • Strange little package. Has no installation instructions, which would not otherwise be needed, except it doesn't work no matter where I put it. Running the file itself directly gives error. Besides, why even have this when Vanilla has this option built in anyway.
  • Replace:

> header('location:/entry');

with

> Redirect('entry');

and your plugin would work with configurations that are installed not in the root.
  • @TiGR thanks, that solved my issue with 500 errors
  • @rak This plug in won't work with embed forums.
  • rotaechorotaecho Los Angeles New

Testing this plugin, I noticed it blocked the SiteMaps plugin which uses: /sitemapindex.xml and /robots.txt . It may be worth having those two locations allowed so google can use sitemaps to find forum categories. In addition, adding a way to force the same behavior on a defined discussion could create a private "Members Only" discussion that google / visitors can't see. Thanks for the plugin!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@rotaecho said:
    Testing this plugin, I noticed it blocked the SiteMaps plugin which uses: /sitemapindex.xml and /robots.txt . It may be worth having those two locations allowed so google can use sitemaps to find forum categories. In addition, adding a way to force the same behavior on a defined discussion could create a private "Members Only" discussion that google / visitors can't see. Thanks for the plugin!

your problem may be that

ForceGuestSignIn/default.php has a closing php tag.

plugins should never end with a closing > ?>
    php tag because it breaks rss and xml.

change from

public function Setup(){}

}

?>

to

public function Setup(){}

}

remove the

?>

and see if that fixes your problem.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@peregrine‌ good catch / note about the closing php tag not being part of the plugin. It didn't seem to resolve the sitemaps being blocked though. When I disable the Guest Plugin, sitemaps works, enable the plugin sitemaps breaks. I read somewhere that sitemaps isn't really needed for SEO, but in my mind every little bit helps.

I'm going to play around with this and the other plugin found that enables Guest access.

I think Guest redirecting is totally a good idea, also that both the plugins could enact a "Members Only" discussion that google/guests can't see, but only members. Where other discussions are totally public to view.

More poking.

• I read somewhere that sitemaps isn't really needed for SEO, but in my mind every little bit helps.

that said. when hgtonight and linc speak I listen.....

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/190663/#Comment_190663

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

In that case, I'm removing the sitemaps plugin, and moving on.

Thanks @peregrine‌