Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

phpBB Vs. VForums

Hey everyone, I'm new to Vanilla Forums and I heard about this place a few weeks ago and I'm currently using phpBB for my community, however I'm wondering what feature does VanillaForums come with and is the design easy to change?

I'm fine at designing my own sites and all so HTML and CSS etc is fine, I'm just wondering if it takes loads of time and is hard to get your head around. Also are there any convertors available as if I do change I'd rather just carry over posts and users than starting again.

Thank you, Dan.

Comments

• Options
    FlamFlam New
    edited October 2010
    I wouldn't suggest switching from phpBB to Vanilla. It's a great forum by all means, but it's lacking many important features (or plugins here) and many of the plugins I've tried have failed to work properly.

As they say, if it works, don't fix it.
  • Options
    Thank you for your answer :-) Yeah I suppose I should wait, I'm not to fussed about features but it seems it doesn't have smilies and signatures as standard and all so maybe I should wait and see if those things gets added. Thanks once again :)
  • Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    @limited_luck Vanilla has Smilies and Signatures as add-ons. I have used phpBB before and I can say Vanilla is much easier to theme and customize. There are some features you might be missing or see as must have, but its nothing a couple of moments of PHP scripting could not fix. The best bet would be to download it and try it out on a test subdomain. You will be surprised, I know I was...
  • Options
    ive used phpbb extensively in the past, and hands down vanilla is the better choice. like adrian said, give it a try and let us know what you think