Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do you send an email if a thread gets a response

RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Here's a very typical scenario on my forum... a new user comes to the forum as a result of google. They look around, see that there is an active community of helpful users. They go through the trouble of signing up, and asking the question that they need help with. They leave, but forget to come back to see if anyone has replied to their post. This is a very common scenario, and huge loss to the community because it's often this one question that gets a person to realize the value of the forum.

When I had vbulletin, there was a setting that emailed someone anytime there was a response to a question that they posted. Not for threads that they comment in, but only for a discussion that they started (their is a value for them, so the email is actually appreciated as a notification that someone may have answered their question).

How would I set this up in Vanilla?

Comments

• I think it's done automatically, at least when you have the voting plugin -- I used to get e-mails from Vanilla with "somebody has answered your question" ...

Otherwise, do a simple thing: as soon as a user posts a discussion, automatically subscribe him to that discussion. As a sample code, you can start with EMailSubscribe plugin ... and I should also have some other code around to do this. Let me know if you are interested further in this or if you need any assistance.

/cd
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    "Notify me when people comment on my discussions." is the profile preference. I believe you can set that to be selected by default for new users by adding this to config/config.php:

$Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionComment'] = '1';
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    awesome, thanks guys... i know from experience that this one little thing makes a huge difference in terms of member retention and things like that, so just a little tip for anyone with a new forum.. cheers!
  • If that is your aim, try to have a look at my plugin: EMailSubscribe -- should keep the users coming back. Of course, at some point, it might annoy them with the big flow of info/spam.

/cd
  • edited December 2010
    "Notify me when people comment on my discussions." is the profile preference. I believe you can set that to be selected by default for new users by adding this to config/config.php:

$Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionComment'] = '1';
    I thought it was

$Configuration['Garden']['Email']['DiscussionComment'] = TRUE;

or is that something else?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionComment'] is directly from config-defaults.php and is the correct value for this. The 'Garden.Email' block of options is generally about SMTP configuration.