Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

phpbb to Vanilla conversion tool

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    I made a phpbb3 exporter, but haven't fully tested it yet. I think at this point @bontheman has actually gotten it to work and maybe he can shed some light.

Can I give you an estimate of next week?
  • edited July 2010
    Hi Todd,
    i've just tested it :) It works GREAT!
    (ok, there was a very small error in class.phpbb.php) BUT:
    I've imported about 105.000 users and 5700 discussions and almost 30.000 comments...

Just perfect!

There are couple of little things, which i'd need to take a closer look at...

Here's my import result (my test domain) http://pdapimps.com

thanx!
    @buzz_lightyear, can you tell me what the error in class.phpbb.php is?
  • edited July 2010
    hi Todd,
    the line 19 was giving me error.
    'topics' => array('topic_id'=>'DiscussionID', 'forum_id', ...
    so once i changed it to:
    'topics' => array('topic_id', 'forum_id', ...
    it was OK.

Offtopic:
    [code]test[/test]

One other thing, that i don't understand is, that in my imported posts, all BBcode is formatted as it (almost) should be. Also if there are URLs with images, it renders images. Also code is formatted as code. However when i write a post directly, it doesn't work. See above [code] BBcode. Am i doing something wrong?
  • candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Maybe you have to write [/code] instead of [/test].

Edit: No, it's the same.
  • I'm glad to see that the convertion tool is working pretty well :)
    @buzz_lightyear, you need to edit your config to make new posts default to BBCode (which I guess the importer should do at some point). For now, just edit your config.php and add the following line:
    $Configuration['Garden']['InputFormatter'] = 'BBCode';
  • edited July 2010
    @candyman
    LOL sorry, my typo.. but u've tested too with [/code] ;)

@Todd
    Thanx, that enables BBcode

edit: deleted some stuff... This "sorting by votes" is pretty confusing :)
  • yusfyusf New
    edited July 2010
    Uhm, sorry if I've overlooked something, but how did you phpBB-exporters go about it? Using the porter from github I'm only faced by the Vanilla 1.x and vBulletin 3+ options, not phpBB…
  • Hi @yusf,
    as far as i understood it, the phpBB exporter is still in kind of beta phase... I mean not released yet. So in order to use phpBB exporter in VanillaPorter, you need to do some small change in the code and run make.php to put all the classes together.

But i think, that @Todd mentioned "estimate one week" in a post above http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/125696/#Comment_125696
    (i suppose, one week to release it, as it works without problems)
    I took the phpbb3 export out because I didn't have proper test data and there were reports of bugs. Since then people have had it work on their forums because of some work Lincoln did I think.

I now have an dump of a phpbb3 forum and @lincoln also has something he will hopefully forward to me. I cross-my-heart promise I will get those tests done this weekend.
  • @buzz_lightyear & @todd
    Thanks for your replies! I see, guess one week of waiting doesn't hurt! :D
    Great work!
  • candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    And what about phpBB2? I have to upgrade to phpBB3 and then made the switch?
    @candyman, I won't be supporting phpbb2. I couldn't even find a download for it when I went to look. Isn't phpbb2 really, really old?
  • I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to require people to upgrade to phpbb3 first is it? Although it could mean some people don't bother upgrading to Vanilla as they might be happy with their upgrade to phpbb3 :D
  • There are still some problems. Lists and code blocks are not imported correctly. Here are some examples:

List:

[list][*]alternative ZIP-Klasse[/*:m][*]Zusätzliche Alternativfunktion (exec)[/*:m][*]Verwendung eines anderen Dateiformats zum Speichern von Backups[/*:m][/list:u]

instead of:
    • alternative ZIP-Klasse
    • Zusätzliche Alternativfunktion (exec)
    • Verwendung eines anderen Dateiformats zum Speichern von Backups
    Code block:
    <br /><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="autoviewer&#46;swf?xmlURL=gallery&#46;xml&amp;preloaderColor=0x000000" width="650" height="630"><br /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><br /></object><br />
    instead of:
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="autoviewer.swf?xmlURL=gallery.xml&preloaderColor=0x000000" width="650" height="630"> <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /> </object>
  • The problems I posted a month ago are still not fixed. This really prevents me from switching.
  • Am i the only who get no conversations at all after the import ?

Thanks for yout help.

I'm running the whole thing on my localhost (MAMP).
  • a few years ago I programmed this script and it worked fine for me:
    http://salmacis.com/import-vanilla.cgi.txt