Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Discussion URL parsing

LincLinc Detroit Admin
edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I propose that discussion URLs be stripped of periods and be converted to all lowercase.

Example: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/10056/Unable-to-login-to-forum.-Unusual-cause...

I just pasted that into GitHub, and it parsed the URL with a "< /p" tacked on the end. One could argue that's sloppy coding on GitHub's part, but I don't think many people expect an ellipsis to end a URL. In my day-to-day travels around the interwibbles, I find a strong predilection for going all-lowercase and an overwhelming predilection for stripping periods.

(also, yes, fully aware of how low this probably falls on the priority list, just bringing it up)

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Great idea. I could have sworn we already got rid of periods. Anyway, here's the method that handles it in development. I've added a strtolower just now:

public static function Url($Mixed) { if (!is_string($Mixed)) { return self::To($Mixed, 'Url'); } else { $Mixed = utf8_decode($Mixed); $Mixed = preg_replace('/-+/', '-', str_replace(' ', '-', trim(preg_replace('/([^\w\d_:.])/', ' ', $Mixed)))); $Mixed = utf8_encode($Mixed); return strtolower($Mixed); } }
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this has made it into production? My version is still a bit wonky with the ... in the title of a thread.
  • Options
    I have same problem.

Especially with embedded forum.
    If i force it to be embedded, it fails.

if i force it, it makes urls like this (it works ok while you are in iframe)
    site.com/forum#/index.php?p=/discussion/[id]/[url]

and only this would work ok (even if you try to open in new tab/window)
    site.com/forum#/discussion/[id]/[url]

So "open in new window" shows error as well as generated link in email. Since it adds that index.php always...

but i can't and i don't know how to make those pretty URL's. There is some variable in config variables called prety urls (something like that) but changing that from FALSE to TRUE didn't help.
  • Options
    I am also experiencing the same issue and am having a very hard time finding a solution. Has anyone else had any luck with this?