Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can't Install Vanilla 2

I'm trying to test out Vanilla for my organization to get off of phpBB, but when I went to install it, everything went to hell in a handbasket. I provided the connection information to the database and hit Continue only to have an error thrown back in my face about not being able to connect to the database with the username and password I'd supplied. Weird thing is, I can log in to phpMyAdmin with the same username and password, so I'm not sure why Vanilla can't make the connection.

Here's the connection information I'm using (sans password):

Host: localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock DB Name: anodyne_vanilla DB User: vanillauser DB Password: **********

And like I said, it's throwing the following error:

Failed to connect to the database with the username and password you entered. Did you mistype them? The database reported: SQLSTATE[00000] [1045] Access denied for user: 'vanillauser@localhost' (Using password: YES)

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    If you can log in with those details, but your error says access is denied for that user, could it possibly be that your user hasn't been connected with the database or doesn't have enough permissions applied?
  • Options
    I wondered that too, but when I checked my control panel at the database users, the user I'm using has the following permissions: Create, Alter SP, Execute SP, Update, Delete, Show View, Lock, Create View, Drop, Create SP, Select, Alter, Insert. I also tried to put in my phpBB database user credentials (since I know that can connect to the database) and it threw the same error.
  • Options
    So are you saying that you have the database user login set with the same username/password as phpmyadmin? Have you tried to create a new username/password to test?
  • Options
    I've tried several username/passwords that I have and even tried using existing databases that are running applications, I get the error regardless of the username and password I use.
  • Options
    For whatever reason, my host needs to have a remote connection enabled in order to install this through PDO. Thanks for the help, guys!
  • Options
    Hi @agentphoenix I'm having exactly the same problem on 1and1 dedicated server. Can you let us know how you managed to install?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was having the same issue and had to hack around with the class.database.php file to get the install working. The issue is that vanilla has been written to only work with host access rather than socket access (see http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-mysql.connection.php).
  • Options
    I've managed to work a way around it and written up the hack here: http://jamiedavi.es/vanilla-forums-mysql-sockets-file-installation-38.php
  • Options
    They should look the fallowing options via config.

TCP
    UDP
    Socket

The benefits of the latter 2 are marginal over TCP but all 3 are valid ways to utilize MySQL. Not 100% sure if PDO supports UDP but PHP does for MySQL.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hi @Prelude - this is great. I'm about to try this out but noticed you forgot to give us the final example on your web page tutorial.

'When you’re done it will look like this:' Then nothing shown.

Any chance of adding?

UPDATE - in latest Vanilla 2.0.16.7 - there is no file 'library/database/core.database.php' ??
  • Options
    Hi @Prelude - this is great. I'm about to try this out but noticed you forgot to give us the final example on your web page tutorial.

'When you’re done it will look like this:' Then nothing shown.

Any chance of adding?

UPDATE - in latest Vanilla 2.0.16.7 - there is no file 'library/database/core.database.php' ??
    Sorry - my fault for doing it in a rush - I've updated the page now.

Also, it's the library/database/class.database.php file. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Your solution worked for me @prelude. I got an error message first time round but then double checked the code for step 2 and finally got in! Thanks for the excellent tutorial. This definitely needs to be addressed by Vanilla development team though as it's the only database driven software I've installed that had issues with the temp/sock. Magento, Wordpress, phpbb, all work perfectly.
  • Options
    I really think this should be fixed. It does not look good when Vanilla can not be installed on a system where WordPress is running fine using the exact same MySQL settings.
  • Options
    I'm running into a very similar error with the Turnkey Linux LAMP app:
    Failed to connect to the database with the username and password you entered.
    Did you mistype them? The database reported:
    SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user
    'vanilla2'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    Unfortunately the above fix doesn't work as I don't think TKL LAMP uses a socket as described above. Also, using "localhost" worked just fine with WP 3.2.1
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Does the user created allowed to connect on localhost in mysql user?
  • Options
    I've managed to work a way around it and written up the hack here: http://jamiedavi.es/vanilla-forums-mysql-sockets-file-installation-38.php
    Thanks Prelude, your hack is useful for me.