Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Questions before I use...

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm developing an AJAX web app and would like to use a forum to display all of my sites content, vs a blog or typical cms. The page should load once (when the user first visits the site) and never again which is why I'm drawn to Vanilla, because of embed .

Would it be possible to do the following using plugins I would code myself:
1) User specific css - Each user should have their own color theme css file, or a default for visitors
2) Custom profile pages with custom fields - Each profile should display last 20 posts for a specific forum, upload files, etc
3) User created subforums - I would like each user to be able to create a subforum for themselves in a specific forum. Is this possible?

I'm assuming it's all possible, even if I have to manually modify the Vanilla code.

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    All of your requests are possible with plugins.

1. I'd write a plugin that calls Gdn::Controller()->AddCssFile() for the user on Base_Render_Before()

2. Each user has their own profile page. You can override this page completely with a plugin or just add the items you want.

3. We use the term categories for subforums. You can nest categories as deeply as you wish.

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    All of your requests are possible with plugins.

1. I'd write a plugin that calls Gdn::Controller()->AddCssFile() for the user on Base_Render_Before()

2. Each user has their own profile page. You can override this page completely with a plugin or just add the items you want.

3. We use the term categories for subforums. You can nest categories as deeply as you wish.
  • Awesome Todd, thanks!
  • 2) Custom profile pages with custom fields - Each profile should display last 20 posts for a specific forum, upload files, etc
    That one would be really cool for a plugin for us to download.

There was an error rendering this rich post.