Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What are the best Web Hosting services?

edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

What are the best web hosting services for my vanilla forum website? What do you use? Thanks. :)

Best Answer

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

In my experience, bluehost ain't bad, and avoid godaddy like the plague.

Answers

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

In my experience, bluehost ain't bad, and avoid godaddy like the plague.

• YOU CAN TRY MY SITE http://odyssey.buyhostnow.com/ if you want to just test get a free account... upgrade for 3.99/mo. less for multi year contracts. Free domain name and unlimited everything!!!!

• i prefer www.df.eu

• Take a look around www.ICDSoft.com. I've been hosting sites with them for ~8 years IIRC and been satisfied the whole time. It's not the cheapest per bandwidth/space/etc. but it's rock solid and the SureSupport system is great—they always reply within a few minutes (24/7) and will help you with nearly anything web site-related. It might be more than you need in terms of resources but it's what I've happily stuck with despite trying several others in the meantime.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2012

This is really such a broad question. If you are just starting out pick any that meets the requirements.

The honest truth is there really isn't a whole load of difference between the cheapo LAMP shared hosting, they will make out like there is, but the fact is they are almost identical set ups. It is all marketing and price. it makes bad business sense for them to offer expensive technical support. They are more interested in the initial sales, and billing turnover.

Yes some have better records than others (what is up can also deteriorate very quickly), but tbh don't expect a whole of professional advice at that price, and also be wary of review sites, they are just a promotional tool. and even where there is genuine feedback, all you are seeing is someone who bothered to put something, you have no idea how representative it is.

Just pick one, if it turns sour, move.

It is only when you have a strong user base, and the traffic has picked up that you need a tailored hosting package.

Also discussions like this, especially with those sort of predicable and broad titles are targets for spam bots.

grep is your friend.

• In my experience, bluehost ain't bad, and avoid godaddy like the plague.

See this is the kind of stuff you get in review sites, except you could easily reverse the two host around in the sentence. Someone is going to have a bad experience with either of them. It really is luck of the draw. There companies are focused on volume sales, and in the volume sales game there are always casualties.

grep is your friend.

• Silly question, vanillaforums.com is the best!

• vanillaforums.com is certainly a good option if you are happy within the package. It is optimised to server the software after all.

grep is your friend.

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    edited January 2012

x00 said:
    This is really such a broad question. If you are just starting out pick any that meets the requirements.

To build upon what @x00 said, you really need to decide what you need first. I'm assuming that you just want to host a forum and nothing else, in which case for peace of mind and great forum related support, I would suggest you go with vanillaforums.com.

Yes, it costs more than cheap-o LAMP hosting... but do you know what you are going to do when you hit outages, server config issues, backups, etc? If you're happy to roll up your selves and get your hands dirty, then go for it.

The answer to your question really relies almost entirely on what you are looking for in a host.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited March 2012

Also discussions like this, especially with those sort of predicable and broad titles are targets for spam bots.

what did I tell you? personally I would lock thread like this or use them as a honeypot.

grep is your friend.

This discussion has been closed.