Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

More Details?

clethrillclethrill ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am interested in this plugin. Could you perhaps give some more details as your short description is definitely short. I would download it and try it out, but so much school work :(

Just general details

Best Answer

• It's a pretty simple plugin. There's no configuration to speak of. How it works:

1. You install the plugin
    2. You enable the plugin
    3. Your users have a link to connect their Steam account, when editing their profile
    4. The link initiates an OpenID authentication with Steam's OpenID authentication service
    5. If a valid authentication is made, the user's SteamID64 is saved, associated with their user meta data
    6. When the user's profile is viewed, a panel is displayed in the sidebar that displays bits of information from their Steam Community profile (name, avatar, link to Steam Community profile, top games)

That's really all there is to it. If you have any recommendations for improvement, just let me know!

Answers

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

perhaps you need to have a better discussion name than that to attract attention :P

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• clethrillclethrill ✭✭
    edited February 2012

sahotataran said:
    perhaps you need to have a better discussion name than that to attract attention :P

Valid point, however I was not in a creative mood and the owner of the plugin should receive a notification of this anyway. He is the main and intended target of the post.

• http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/17954/food-for-thought-forum-etiquette

Descriptive titles, always. So other can benefit.

"More details?", "help", etc not very useful.

grep is your friend.

• It's a pretty simple plugin. There's no configuration to speak of. How it works:

1. You install the plugin
    2. You enable the plugin
    3. Your users have a link to connect their Steam account, when editing their profile
    4. The link initiates an OpenID authentication with Steam's OpenID authentication service
    5. If a valid authentication is made, the user's SteamID64 is saved, associated with their user meta data
    6. When the user's profile is viewed, a panel is displayed in the sidebar that displays bits of information from their Steam Community profile (name, avatar, link to Steam Community profile, top games)

That's really all there is to it. If you have any recommendations for improvement, just let me know!

• Thanks! Sounds good I will have a better look at it later tonight

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited February 2012

Is that a steampunk community?

• Anonymoose said:
    Is that a steampunk community?

Obviously not a gamer :P Steam is a digital distribution platform developed by Valve. It allows people to buy games, trailers, demos, etc. chat with friends and record stats and achievements for pc.

• screenshot?

• I'm just wondering, I have received my api key to use Open ID, so how to I set up this plugin?

• Warlordraver said:
    I'm just wondering, I have received my api key to use Open ID, so how to I set up this plugin?

Actually, you don't need an API key to use Steam's OpenID authentication. There's no setup to this plugin. You install it, enable it, and your users immediately have access to it.

Rajio said:
    screenshot?

I've been meaning to do this for a few days. It's just a small panel on the user's profile page that displays their Steam avatar image, a link to their profile and a brief overview of their game stats. I'll try to drop in a screenshot in the next day or two.

• ManicHateball said:
    Actually, you don't need an API key to use Steam's OpenID authentication. There's no setup to this plugin. You install it, enable it, and your users immediately have access to it.

Well every time I try to link my account with steam i get this pop up in the bottom left corner saying "Invalid Steam authentication attempt"

• Warlordraver said:
    Well every time I try to link my account with steam i get this pop up in the bottom left corner saying "Invalid Steam authentication attempt"

The OpenID authentication verification step requires allow_url_fopen to be enabled in your site's PHP configuration. Can you verify that is the case with your Vanilla setup?

• ManicHateball said:
    The OpenID authentication verification step requires allow_url_fopen to be enabled in your site's PHP configuration. Can you verify that is the case with your Vanilla setup?

In my php.ini file it reads "allow_url_fopen = On" so i assume its enabled.

• For anyone who might be experiencing a similar issue:

I got in contact with Warlordraver and signed up on his forum. The issue was related to his server's inability to securely establish a connection to Steam's OpenID authentication service. In the end, this was remedied by enabling PHP's OpenSSL extension, which allowed the usage of the HTTPS stream wrapper.

• I still have this problem: "Invalid Steam authentication attempt".

• Works good.

But is this possible to make option "Log In by Steam" ?
    It will be great feature :)

// Sorry for my English