Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Grokking the meaning of discussion count in profile on this forum

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am trying to understand the meaning of the number of discussion count
on the lefhand side of the page on this forum e.g. on this link

http://vanillaforums.org/profile/37259/H00j

as of now it says 1 discussion and 12 comments.

Before you answer the question automatically. count the number of initiated discussions and the number of comments. There must be some logic somewhere - but my illogical mind can't find a real pattern unless it means one discussion without a comment.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Best Answer

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

peregrine said:
    at least 3 discussion have been started here by the user here:
    it says 1 for the discussion tag. explain that :)

You are right and I am wrong :-) (another line for a t-shirt :-) )

but I stick to my explanation of the difference between a discussion and the comments. Also look in the database tables. The discussions are in a separate table from the comments. I cannot explain the difference in discussion counts and actual discussions without making some silly assumptions, which I won't do.

In this case, the counts don't matter, the way we handle the newly posted discussions and some of the comments do.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers