Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can I import my existing comments into Vanilla?

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I just installed Vanilla and am integrating it with my existing wordpress site.

When I enable comment integration, my existing comments disappear off of my site. I really need to keep them.

Any ideas?

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

fill in the fields from one table to another and assign it to a user. Your database guy should know how.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• Do you want to import your comments from WordPress into Vanilla?

uh oh...

Do you know how to save the structure of 2 database tables and compare them?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I have a guy who could do that. Can you give me an idea of what needs to be done?

Some details would be awesome.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

fill in the fields from one table to another and assign it to a user. Your database guy should know how.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks!

• peregrine

But if I don't 'have a guy' who can do this, what's the next best step to migrating from WP Comments to Vanilla Comments?

• bnix said:

peregrine

But if I don't 'have a guy' who can do this, what's the next best step to migrating from WP Comments to Vanilla Comments?

It was an off-the cuff statement - I
    I just used phpmyadmin - and saw that wordpress has a comments table with the comment and userid - and vanilla has something similar. - so it seemed somebody with the desire to convert could export one, modify it a bit and import it. As far as the particulars, that would be something for you to investigate. As far as the next best step I don't know.

• Is there some automated way to import them ? I have a big site and wanted to try out with Vanilla forum but I dont want to waste another week for trying this out (dont have to much DB knowledge...) I already wasted 2 weeks for shitty bbPress

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Developers, please help by making a addon.

• All we have is the porter plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/porter-core The Porter plugin can convert comments from bbPress to Vanilla. It cannot convert from WordPress to Vanilla. Figure out if you would like to convert from bbPress to Vanilla, otherwise do the manual steps like peregrine said.
    We'll help as much as we can if you decide to do the manual steps.
    Let us know if you want to do the conversion (porter plugin) on your local (windows?) computer or on the server (host).

• here's a start on what to do for discussions.

pull this info out of wordpress

`fa_posts` (

`post_author`
      `post_date` datetime 
      `post_content` 
      `post_title` 

test for publish maybe
      `post_status` 
     find the posts type = posts
      `post_type`

put the info into vanilla.
    start your discussion id from the last discussion id +1 that you have
    figure out what category you want.  e.g. create a wordpress category and put it into there.

insert user id - would correspond to a user id  = synch the correct user names.
    post_content - matches body
    post_title - matches name
    the last four fields are pretty much necessary 

INSERT INTO `vanilla`.`GDN_Discussion` (
    `DiscussionID` ,
    `CategoryID` ,
    `InsertUserID` ,
    `Name` ,
    `Body`,
    `Format`,
    `DateInserted`,
    `DateLastComment`
    )
    VALUES (
    '27', '2', '5', 'the NEW test', 'this is the new body' ,'Html', '2012-06-27 11:07:27','2012-06-27 11:07:27'
    );

do something similar for match of wordpress comments for comments.

you will need to read up on mysql to implement - but its not that mysterious.

use phpmyadmin to look at tables and structures - you can use it to export and import.