Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sidebar Menu

This doesn't render a sidebar menu for me, is it supposed to? Looks funny with just some content in the page and no sidebar...

Comments

• you can render the sidebar by adding this:

<?php $this->RenderAsset('Panel'); ?>

• No that just creates an empty panel...there must be more to it than this...I just want my custom page to use my default view, here are some screen shots:

Seems like custom pages pretty much overrides anything...I admit that I am new but it seems like the ability to create content on the front page within the context of having the menus and sidebars in place would be a popular need...

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2013

Look in the css to see if the Panel has display:none, if it does that is the problem. Also the < div ="Panel" > needs to be in the views php of the page.

A link to the problem would take the guesswork out...

• well I can't really because the menu item only shows up when people are logged in for some reason...I think I just need to read up quite a bit...I'm committed to using Vanilla for this project because to me all the other bulletin board systems are old and stale...but i can see the model is very different in terms of how vanilla works...sort of the wordpress model i just need to find a plugin that gives me what i want or hack one together myself...

edited March 2013

Try the ExtraPage plugin, or PrivacyNotice or clone those for your custom pages. All you do is change the names to the one you want. Or you can make an html page and have it popup instead of go to the page. Like for a privacy notice or anything you want then ad the link to the menu. Some java and thats it.

• It looks like you have a panel, what you need to do is to figure out how to add the modules (e.g. categories or bookmarks, etc).

So depending on your app.

$this->AddModule('BookmarkedModule'); or something related.

also some plugins determine if they will display the module based on the controller, so you would have to modify the plugins too.

Maybe someone more familiar with apps can help you further.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited March 2013

same thing - no sidebar...I'm savvy enough to make sure it's not CSS or a missing div...it think it might even be my theme (im using sugar that i bought from themeforest.com) - thanks for the help but i think its time for me to dive into the documentation - because what i really want is the sidebar and user menu in some kind of context and then be able to put content in the main content div - i want that for the front page of my site and for a few menu items...i just need to understand views i think...thanks...i will read up :)

• thanks peregrine - yes I need to actually read up figure it out instead of being lazy and hoping a plugin would do my heavy lifting :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

@purplesectornet said:

well I can't really because the menu item only shows up when people are logged in for some reason.

if $Session->IsValid()) {
    /// add menu link

will prevent the link from showing up unless you are logged in.

look for it in default.master.php or default.master.tpl in your theme

or if you are adding menu link through a plugin look there.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited March 2013

@purplesectornet > think it might even be my theme

big chance, you can try another theme and if the same happens then it's not a theme problem.
    You do have two custom.css and two style.css being called. I think you have duplicates....

peregrine's ExtraPage is a great plugin which is very customizable and it can have the panel or not depending on what you want. Custom Pages has no css file? hmmm
    no locale...oh well who needs one eh?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

Your theme may or may not be causing problems, but if you don't add the modules, it won't work in any theme period, because your app is a different app. Just as conversations has different modules than vanilla discussions, you have to add the modules inm your new app - they don't get added magically. You have to add the magic.

see

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/22979/is-this-the-correct-way-to-create-an-application

• i can verify this problem i've tried echoing the $this variable and i dont get any assets:

[Assets] => Array
                (
                )

basically means there's no sidebar.

I've worked out on this one before to add PluginController on a plugin i want to add on a plugin output.

@purplesectornet you might wanna try including PluginController on the menu by this:

$Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Panel'] = array('CategoryModule', 'NewDiscussionModule','PluginController');

but i'm not sure if it's working or the one we should put is PluginController since i hvnt tested it out yet.

maybe lady @vrijvlinder could help you out im no expert

I think this is more Don Peregrino specialty , I'm just an apprentice :)