Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Alternate DB Options?

edited December 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Based on some of the other comments I've read in other posts discussing MySQL vs. sqlLite, I've come up with a quandry I'd like to address: what would be the likelihood of offering a few different options for installation (MySQL and PostgreSQL at least) like some of the other boards do. It would be extremely useful for different hosting services. For instance, here at work, we do everything with PostgreSQL, so i'd never be able to install Vanilla to try there. Mark, is this something you'd be interested in including, and if so, are there any keys to an install option you'd like me to work out ahead of time? PostgreSQL doesn't vary much from MySQL in syntax, but the PHP accessor methods are different, so there would have to be a separate file holding DB access methods for both MySQL or Postgres. Pretty easy to overcome by simply including the two files and only include() the one that matches the install at the time you run the script. Anyway, may not be worth the hastle, but I really think it would be worth looking into... especially to integrate PostgreSQL. Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's so much that it's actually hard to do, but that it would make bugs harder to track down.
  • Options
    how so? if you are working from a DAO of any sort, you're simply replacing mysql_query() with a pg_query() or other function call. 99% of your actual queries would remain exactly the same. also, if it's approached from a DAO as i suggested above, it would simply be a matter of including the proper page of functions based on the DB chosen. i've done this to a small degree with a calendar script i've written, but this would obviously have to be a little more involved.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'd bet a postgre port wouldn't be too difficult. I'd really like to get all of the bugs finished first, though. Sadly, I need to make some money, so as of today I won't be tackling any bugs in Vanilla except in evenings and weekends for a couple of weeks. I had lofty notions of putting 0.9.3 on here last week, but I don't think that can happen yet. Just too many other things on the go and too many bills to pay.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    If you build it, they will use! :D that's my motto and I'm sticking to it.
This discussion has been closed.