Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Previewing first post in thread title

Hi all - been working with Vanilla for a few days now and I'm amazed at how easy it is to manipulate! I have come across one thing so far I can't figure out on my own though...

I'd like to display a particular number of characters from the first post into the thread title block as a preview of what's inside. I've been searching here on the forum and google for a bit now and can't find the area I should manipulate to make this happen, or what to put in that area.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

PS - in case it isn't clear what I'm trying to do see below:

Instead of:

Thread name
5 comments timestamp

Thread name
3 of comments timestamp

I'm trying to get:

Thread name
Text from first post text from first post...
5 of comments timestamp

Thread name
Text from first post text from first post...
3 of comments timestamp

Best Answer

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

not sure how you could do that but there is a tooltip plugin which shows an excerpt of the discussion when you hover the icon.
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/discussiontooltip-plugin

• I appreciate the link to the plugin. It's not what I'm looking for however.

If the code is set up to show [thread title] [number of comments] [timestamp] I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible to manipulate more things in or out of this area.

The big problem I have is I can't seem to locate where the pieces above reside, or the first post info.

It's actually made me more curious now that you've posted the plugin link because it shows that you can isolate that info. Maybe I could just reverse engineer that to see what it is I'm looking for.