Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Solved] How can I fix this error?

TomaureTomaure New
edited October 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello.
I am having troubles installing Vanilla Forums.
Here is the error:

Thanks!

Answers

• Options

Something is wrong with the database. It cannot write to a file in a location belonging to MySQL. Ask your host to help

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    TomaureTomaure New
    edited October 2013

@UnderDog said:
    Something is wrong with the database. It cannot write to a file in a location belonging to MySQL. Ask your host to help

I don't really want to ask my host to help, because they charge money for it. My hosting provider is NearlyFreeSpeech. Does anyone know how to fix it when using NearlyFreeSpeech.NET? Also, I have access to creating databases, deleting.
    Thanks.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need your host to give your account owner permissions and to make the database writeable .

Try installing another copy of Vanilla on a separate subdirectory and see if that will work. If you still can't install** It is the Host fault. **

They should not charge you money to fix their side of the problem. Just tell them that you can't install anything and to check the permissions they gave your account.

If this happens with Vanilla it will happen with anything else you try to install.

• Options

try creating a database first. with the same name as you plan to input during installation. be sure to give the user@... permission to write to database and create tables prior to installation.

Otherwise - you may have to save up and pay your host provider.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Do you have access to the server via SSH? Are you able to install other software that use MySQL?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

Welcome to the community! Check the MySQL Permissions. If after creating a new database, checking the privileges, and making a new user, contact the host. If they charge, stop using their hosting and find another hosting company that gives free support or even free hosting (free support: x10Premium and x10hosting) (free hosting: x10hosting)

• Options

Hello.
    I have tried permanently deleting the database, and then creating a new one. It worked, so probably the database was somehow corrupt, etc. Thanks for the help anyways.

• Options
    TomaureTomaure New
    edited October 2013

Can a staff member mark this as solved? Thanks. (Sorry, don't know how to edit posts..)
    Edit: Just found it how, it's too late though.

This discussion has been closed.