Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Getting the embed wordpress script to work

Team,

I have Vanilla working at localhost no problem. I have followed the instructions carefully and have "manually" installed "vanilla-forums" plugin at localhost/vanilla_forum/plugins fullpath "http://localhost/vanilla_forum/plugins/vanilla-forums" and I have now to embed the code into a wordpress page and get it to work. I am failing right here!

I have embedded the documented code below into a wordpress Page (Vanilla) based on "no parent" and the "Vanilla Forum Template":

AND the page displays as empty

This is after explicitly following all the instructions. What am I doing wrong please?

Thanks
kenjw

Comments

• Options

Sorry the code does not display
    --- ---

• Options

OK I tried the 3 dashes each side of the code …. what now to display the code please. I will try " "
    ""

• Options

That didn't work either?

• Options

I will try to attach a file with the code

• Options

Here is the file attached

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited November 2013

@kenjw Wordpress plugin for vanilla should be loaded at: /wp-content/plugins/, where you load other plugins.

• Options

Hi Adrian,

The Vanilla Admin Panel says:
    "Plugins allow you to add functionality to your site.
    Once a plugin has been added to your /Users/kewright01/MyStarcatcher/Websites/www.osmf-pmp-child-no-sp-test-vanilla.dev/vanilla_forum/plugins folder, you can enable or disable it here." where "www.osmf-pmp-child-no-sp-test-vanilla.dev" is the equivalent of htdocs (localhost) [Using Desktop Server ServerPress] and that is where I put it.

I have moved it to the usual " /wp-content/plugins/" and have the attached code in a "discussions" Wordpress Page [see attached file].

However …. same result … it does not show up in the "discussions" Wordpress Page

So problem still exists. Any other ideas? Should the attached code be "wrapped" in some other way. I have it on the WP Page exactly as you see it here.

Thanks for your help
    kenjw

• Options

sorry no code was attached

• Options

Soory I cannot get the .txt file to load?

• Options

Please tell me how to include the txt "inline". The attache file "thingy" is not working

• Options

Hi Adrian,

An update … I have discovered that there is a bug in Wordpress 3.7.1

If you load this code into the "Visual" tab on a WP Page it is not recognised. But if you load the code into the "Text" tab it works and I can see Vanilla.

However using the code … it does not recognise the "Responsive Bootstrap" WP Theme. This is a problem for me.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    kenjw

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

hi @kenjw,

It's not a bug for WordPress. You cannot include code in the visual tab, always the text one. We usually recommend you use the Embed theme for a forum embed as it is made for this purpose. If you like, you can make a copy and change the css colors to your needs.

P.S. just a quick tip, use the @ before a username if the message is to them.

• Options

Sorry I had to abandon the use of Vanilla. Apart from the one time (above) that it was working for a while, it failed again multiple times.

I do not think this Wordpress Integration is stable!

I will try again when I hear someone say it actually works and how they got it to work.

Thanks for all the help