Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Time for a switch...

lechlech Chicagoland
edited March 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Ok so i've asked this elsewhere and figured I'd take a stab with some of you guys (and girls) here. Recently, Trillian 3 "pro" hasn't really been living up to its self-worth. Hell, I don't even know why I bought a license this time around, but with all the oddities and inconsistancies I've been experiencing lately, I'm ready to dump it into the bin and wish them luck on the next release (if there even will be one) because this is just not working out for me. Ok, so here's the question: Between Gaim and Miranda, which for me would be a better (not to mention 'simple') chat client? Unless some other party has slipped through the cracks unnoticed these seem like the only two alternatives for milti-protocol messengers. I've seen meebo, but I usually don't leave my browser open long enough after I'm done using it, or just close it out on accident most of the time. What's meebo? hit http://www.meebo.com and have a look, it's neat but not for me, at least, not here. So any suggestions? This will be for a winXP box so don't toss me any curve balls with adium and the likes :)

Comments

• They all suck; the trick is finding the one that sucks the least.
  • That said, Miranda > Trillian > Gaim
  • Gaim is propably the best out of those three.
  • @ Kosomo: agreed considering it helps make a larger portion of AdiumX (the best messenger for mac)
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    Personally, the current version of Gaim I find to be fairly fugly option-wise, but I am holding out for gaim 2.0 which should clean all that up. With that said, I'm willing to finally give miranda a fresh shot. Trillian has at the moment ranked dead last. Does anyone happent o remember the site which had a vbs file that manages to decode stored trillian passwords? I need to do a bit of recovery :)
  • I'm fond of Kopete ... but that's only for KDE, not Windows. Of course, I don't chat enough to worry about multiple clients. I chat between co-workers and my wife/family and that's about it. They're all on MSN.
This discussion has been closed.