Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plug-ins stopped enabling and disabling

edited July 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

V. 2.1.11

Plug-ins not already deployed in forum will not enable. The button will say that they are, but the plug-in features do not appear in forum. This is the case with default plug-ins that are within original install, and with any new ones in /plugins folder.

Plug-ins already enabled in forum, however, still disable and enable with click of the dashboard button.

I have disabled cache in config-default.php . Write settings on config.php are 777, and on /conf folder are 755.

I have flushed cache on the web server and use none in my browsers.

I have dug around in here trying to find ideas for how to fix this, and have found a few things to try. But I still can't move forward. Anyone have any ideas of what may be happening here?

Thanks.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2015

what version of php are you using?

with zend opcache. you may need to blacklist config.php

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited July 2015

I am using PHP 5.3.29

I have many options with php ...

PHP 4.4.9
    PHP 5.0.5
    PHP 5.1.6
    PHP 5.2.17
    PHP 5.2.17 with Suhosin patch
    PHP 5.3.29
    PHP 5.4.43
    PHP 5.5.27
    PHP 5.6.11
    PHP 7.0.0beta2

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2015

take a look at your phpinfo() and see if you have any caching enabled.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.phpinfo.php

or create a phpinfo.php file with these lines in it and run from browser.

<?php
        phpinfo();

also check to see if you have any odd files with lots of letters and numbers in filename in conf folder, indicating that you might have problems with permissions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited July 2015

I've run that, but don't know how to tell in all of this output if caching is enabled or not. There's a lot of stuff in here: https://clearspring.to/socialconcerns/conf/phpinfo.php

Thanks for your help by the way.

• edited July 2015

and no, there are no odd files in conf folder -- config-default.php, config.php, constants.php, and locale.php

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2015

The button will say that they are, but the plug-in features do not appear in forum.

when you "enable a plugin" and the button says it is enabled. and you refresh the page does it show enabled or disabled?

do the lines of enabled plugins change in your config.php after you disable a plugin?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2015

btw

• you shouldn't change config-default.php, all changes and additions should be made to config.php

• php 5.3 has reached its end of life as far as security updates.

• agcyphersagcyphers Nooooop.

I've seen this issue many times. Somehow the permissions on the config file get munged. Setting back to 644 always does it for me.

• edited July 2015

Sorry I disappeared. My Comcast went kaputt and it was a long night on the phone.

Thank you both. The good news is I am learning things I never knew. Bad news is I am still getting this bizarre result. Here are the results:

Permissions on config file set back to 644. Same thing happened. I am unclear why 644 would make it more likely that it might work. Then I set it back to the 777 I had before and still got same result.

Yes, the config write lines of enabled plug-ins change exactly according to the way the dashboard buttons indicate. I did this back and forth and back, again. The crazy thing is that the plug-ins that were working some days ago still go on and off properly; appear in the forum, or not, accordingly; and are written to, and from, config file as we'd expect. It is just that none of these other plug-ins will show up as operational in forum. They don't show up at all.

Again, all plug-ins enabled in dashboard are coming and going from config file as we might expect; but only plug-ins I began to toggle, and/or install, yesterday will not enable.

Essentially, I can only use the plug-ins I have been using; and none of the others that came with the original install. I have also tried installing new plug-ins, and they won't really enable, although again the buttons indicate that they will.

I reverted to a back-up of the forum. Got same result. However, I am not sure when this problem started. It could have been some time, ago. I have not toggled, or installed, plug-ins in a while.

Yes, refreshing the page gives the same result. The buttons indicate the plug-ins are enabled, but they actually are not.

The reason I changed config-default file is somewhere else in this forum someone advised being sure cache was not enabled in config.php . I see nothing in that file relating to cache, but did in config-default.php . In any case, setting that parameter to FALSE made no difference in the problem, nor operation of the site. I am going to set it back to TRUE in just a second because that is what it was before.

Thanks for the heads up on the php version. I will bump it up to 5.4 now, too.

• edited July 2015

WHOA! I figured it out.

Above is what I tried. Another thing I also tried was to see if it was something in connection with the theme.

Yesterday, in checking that theory all I did was preview the theme. This morning I tried this, again .. and looked at that button where I choose to preview or apply. But I applied this time, and then looked. 2 of the 3 plug-ins I was trying to get to work showed-up!

So the issue is that some of these plug-ins work with some themes and not others. Of course, a bigger snafu is when I first considered this possibility I only previewed, and didn't apply the theme,

I am surprised that this is the case for the plug-ins that are standard with the forum install in combination with the themes which also were also standard with original install -- as all these are. Now all is good. I can run with it from here, I think, and continue to try to make best choices about how to work with all that everyone out there in Vanillaland has made here.

I am also happy it wasn't some super complicated thing that would leave me feeling intimidated. Instead, it is just another hair-brained thing I can easily understand. Sweet, and thanks to all! Now, about that big evil corporation Comcast ... anyone know how to fix it and others like it?