Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Upgrade directly from 2.0.18.10 to 2.1.13 FAILS

Restored and tried again several times following the instructions exactly.
Followed the extra instructions here:
http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/troubleshooting

Before attempting the upgrade:
Removed all plugins
Set theme back to default
turned on debugging

Copied the files over
Deleted the additional files
Nuked the ini files in the cache directory

Hit refresh on the update url several times, it keeps giving me:

Failure

The update was not successful.

Debug Trace

Info Need to re-index theme cache

Info Need to re-index plugin cache

The home shows this above the forum now:

Notice: Undefined index: DisplayAs in /var/jost/www/nonjost/jiujitsuforums.com/applications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php on line 156

Notice: Undefined index: DisplayAs in /var/jost/www/nonjost/jiujitsuforums.com/applications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php on line 156

Logfile shows the same thing:

[31-Oct-2015 17:07:58 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: DisplayAs in /var/jost/www/nonjost/jiujitsuforums.com/applications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php on line 156
[31-Oct-2015 17:07:59 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: DisplayAs in /var/jost/www/nonjost/jiujitsuforums.com/applications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php on line 156
[31-Oct-2015 17:07:59 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: DisplayAs in /var/jost/www/nonjost/jiujitsuforums.com/applications/vanilla/models/class.categorymodel.php on line 156

IM STUCK - help

Comments

• If there isnt a straight forward way to upgrade vanilla that just works, that does not bode well for this software.

The above instructions are equivalent to installing a brand new full blown vanilla, and then just pointing it to the old database. I dont understand why all the mysql exporting and importing would help in anyway.

I guess ill give it a shot.

There really should be a clear and easy to follow upgrade path.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@jackjitsu

There's no way to know every possible server setup.

In general, people don't have the issues you are facing.

In individual circumstances, sometimes a 'fudge' solution is the best you can do.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@jackjitsu said:
    Restored and tried again several times following the instructions exactly.
    Followed the extra instructions here:
    http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/troubleshooting

Before attempting the upgrade:
    Removed all plugins
    Set theme back to default
    turned on debugging

Copied the files over
    Deleted the additional files
    Nuked the ini files in the cache directory

Hit refresh on the update url several times, it keeps giving me:

Failure

You do not need to turn debug on for update. That is in case you have trouble with some things. You failed to mention if you updated the /structure of the database as well as the version /update. You failed to mention if your htaccess file reflected the correct root of your forum. You failed to mention if or which files you removed that are obsolete in the new version.

• The additional files deleted were the ones stated in the upgrade instructions:

To upgrade to 2.1.13 directly from 2.0.x, add these steps:

Delete the file /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php
    Delete the file /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php (note the PHP extension, not TPL)

• "You failed to mention if you updated the /structure of the database as well as the version /update."

No I didnt.

I wrote:

"Hit refresh on the update url several times, it keeps giving me:"

• You failed to mention if your htaccess file reflected the correct root of your forum.

This makes no sense. I dont even use apache. I use nginx.
    So of course I would not mention that.

This is an unmodified vanilla install. The upgrade instructions, followed to a T, dont work. There is nothing special about my installation.

@jackjitsu said:
    "You failed to mention if you updated the /structure of the database as well as the version /update."

No I didnt.

I wrote:

"Hit refresh on the update url several times, it keeps giving me:"

What about /structure ? did you run that ? you failed to say that if you did run /structure

@jackjitsu said:
    This is an unmodified vanilla install.

Then why are you updating if the version you installed is the new version ?

So of course I would not mention that.

How are we supposed to know that ?

If you update, the htaccess file gets overwritten with a default one. So you need to make sure it is correct. Some times update failures are due to the htaccess file being wrongly configured.

• Running /structure is not part of the instructions. So why would I mention that?
    It doesnt work anyway

@jackjitsu said:
    Running /structure is not part of the instructions.

If you say so... maybe it should be removed from the dashboard...Sorry nothing that you tried works.. maybe someone else has better ideas.

• Instead of the direct upgrade...I attempted an upgrade to version 2.1.x instead.
    It seemed to almost work... and with a bit of hammering... seems to be working.

Then I attempted from 2.1 to 2.2 and everything failed again...

When I attempt to run utility/update PHP blows up with the error:
    PHP Fatal error: Can't use method return value in write context in /applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php on line 299

PHP version 5.3.29

hmmmmm.....

• Major facepalm... 2.2 isnt even production ready.
    Scatch that... will do a clean re-build of 2.1.13 and test heavily and stay here for now.

edited November 2015

Running master branch 2.2 requires PHP 5.4

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@jackjitsu I'd be interested to know if dropping the indices on the GDN_Tag table let you finish the upgrade process correctly. I ran into such a problem once before but thought it had been remedied.

• I think that was the one thing I had to do to finish the upgrade to 2.1.13.
    That was easy to figure out.

The thing that accidentally completely threw me off track was the download page

If you do a search for 'vanilla forums download' it takes you to your download page.
    Then if you hit DOWNLOAD

*** you get a release candidate ***, not the actual version you should be running in a prod environment. Please change this.

I was working under the assumption that I should be trying to get 2.2 working, and I checked the install requirements which are for 2.1.13. So that was a complete mismatch.