Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Categories Latest Information

edited March 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I did bring this up a long time ago, you said you'd look into it but it never saw the light of day.

Is it too late for something like this to be implemented into the core of vanilla. I'm not sure why it's not present in the first place, it gives much needed information.

This would be present underneath each category.

Comments

• I agree, that would be very useful.
  • Looks like something for folks who are concerned more about stats than discussion. I read somewhere that's not what Vanilla's about. But I'm sure you could write an extension for displaying that info.
  • DigitalLink not really, stats have nothing to do with it. There's already a counter on for number of discussions now so adding a postal count wouldn't be too much different.

As for the last topic posted, that's pretty damn important. Not too many people are fond of the Discussions view of the forum, and if they don't like that they have to use the Categories view, but they have to go through each category to find new posts.
  • > Not too many people are fond of the Discussions view of the forum

I think almost everyone on this forum would disagree with you
  • Indeed. I suspect phrasing it that way is pushing it a little, chris. Sure there are people who dislike it or are unused to it, but i wouldnt say that was most people. As for the counter, while it is useful, it's not life threatening. And i'm fairly sure adding a posts counter would put a major load on the sql query (cue mark to confirm/deny this). As has been said though, I'm sure it'd be fairly easy with some extension work...
  • On the forum I have where I'm using Vanilla the majority of them are used to vBulletin. So they're not too comfortable with the discussion view, hence my comments.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I don't know about "post count" being important, but I can certainly agree that knowing what the most recent discussion(s) are would be helpful. I really want to stop development at this point, but let me think about this one for a bit...
  • That is totally an extension-level feature.
  • an awesome extension it would be :)
  • I agree, but if mark's worrying about whether to add it to the core, he really doesn't have to bother.
  • I think just having most recent discussion for each category would be extremely useful, as it would help the categories page be less of a static directory, and more useful.
  • I think just having most recent discussion for each category would be extremely useful, as it would help the categories page be less of a static directory, and more useful.
    Totally, discussion/post count really isn't an issue for me. But knowing what and when the last post was is something really important to any forum, whether it be a bare bones one or not.
  • One thing that would be neat is the ability to organize the category section into 2 colums and the ability to set headings for a certain group of categories.. Like: Header 1 Header 2 category 1 category 2 and so on.. probably more of an extension but a nifty one at that..
This discussion has been closed.