Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

why not support php5

edited July 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
i cannot run Vanilla on php5 . why not support?

Comments

• edited March 2006
    I am running PHP 5 together with mySQL 5 and Apache2. Just tried to set it up and it worked all right with only one exception. I had an error message saying something like "no default value in 'attributes'". Solution: Manually change 'not null' to 'null' for the field Attributes in lum_user and it works fine. Cheers! By the way, I am talking about 0.9.2.6
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    droozie is on the right track. The main problem with php 5 and Vanilla is that in php 5 they've completely rewritten how classes are declared and handled. So, depending on how your php 5 is configured, you may also have to have php configured to support older class declarations. I know there is a php.ini setting for this.
  • Mark, do you mean how the construct-part is declared? I think that you need to declare the construct-funtion to _construct() in PHP 4, but in PHP5 the construct-part is just the first function in a class? Am I on target? For instance, ynzheng, I run the php.ini-recommended with some slight modifications considering the extensions and a few other things, here on my local dev-server. Haven't actually tried it on a real server yet.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Perhaps this link will help: http://ca.php.net/manual/en/migration5.oop.php
  • While we are talking about Vanilla together with PHP 5, will Vanilla 1.0 be compatible with PHP 5? I have noticed that 0.9.2.6 is buggy on at least the 'extension manager-page' together with PHP5. Only the first extension is shown a number of times. There are probably some other problems as well but I haven't noticed those yet.
  • There is a solution to the extension list bug if you look on the wiki. I'm sure mark will comment whether it'l be fully compatible by default (i'd guess its unlikely but mark continues to surprise) but it should atleast work with a bit of poking here and there.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I've been developing Vanilla 1 on php 5 locally. It will work fine with PHP >= 4.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    And it will work with MySQL >= 4
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    /me cheers!
  • Bumping this topic for a question (or two): PHP 5 has been out for 3 years now. Is it safe to expect that most hosting companies are using it? Is it reasonable to state that an extension requires PHP 5?

(Reason I ask is because OOP features in PHP 5 approach that of real object-orientation, while PHP 4 leaves a lot to be desired.)
  • for extensions, it's reasonable to require PHP 5, sure.
  • Agreed. You can demand anything for an extension if you like ;) there's more than a couple that demand PEAR for functionality - I don't see this as any different.
This discussion has been closed.