Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Default New Posts Behavior

omfgomfg New
edited May 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
This is just a comment on the new posts. When I visit the Vanilla forum I feel overwhelmed with new posts, with each post highlighted and telling me how many comments have been made sense. I feel like I'm missing out not reading them all.

I was wondering why I didn't feel the same way over at Y!H! because it works the same way essentially, all categories on the main page. And I believe it's because it show's what was updated last, but doesn't notify you how much it was updated.

I personally think that the highlighting and number of new posts should be options and not enabled by default. It's much like going through my Inbox, if I have 100 new e-mails, it's kind of stressful because you sit their wondering how in the world are you going to get through all of them, not enough time in the day, and when you are done, there will be more.

If they just posted when they were last updated, then I feel like I can jump into and out of threads easier without becoming compelled to read new ones thinking I'll miss something..

Two cents right there.

Comments

• Options
    my two cents: you're getting a bit neurotic about a message board. :)
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    You know. It's interesting you should say that - I posted something similar about it yesterday. If I *did* change it so that it didn't say how many new ones there were - and only notified you if there were new ones (regardless of the number), it would speed things up a lot and make "mark all read" a possibility.
  • Options
    I like it the way it is
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Proposition to have a sidebar entry that's marked "list all new/update" discussions or something that lists only those new discussions, and as you back out to the list, the one you just read pops out of the list until you've read them all ? a similar display for all bookmarks in your list would be a handy core feature.
  • Options
    i like it the way it is cause i enjoy reading everything thats ever been said. i can see how it's annoying cause itvcompels you though. and i do want mark all read.
  • Options
    > Proposition to have a sidebar entry that's marked "list all new/updated" discussions or something that lists only those new discussions, and as you back out to the list, the one you just read pops out of the list until you've read them all ?

Yes a "new discussions" discussion filter would be useful from time to time when there's a lot of activity. Was this developed?

Or is there a search for new topics that could be saved.
  • Options
    Almost a year old zombie here...

Am currently working on the 'Mark All Read' extension.

new descussions is the default view of Vanilla.

I think that sidebar idea exists as the history on the left.

A thought that just occurred is a Watched Discussions list that would work similarly to bookmarks, but only appear in the panel when there are new posts.
This discussion has been closed.