Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Websites as graphs

edited May 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
So, not long ago, there was someone who made this neat thing which generated graphs from HTML pages, turning tags into nodes, coloured by tag type. Check it out here. I really like the difference in looks you get for different websites.

Anyway, I checked out this forum, but noticed that the original generator didn't have a colour defined for lists, and made them the default colour, grey. Luckily someone else expanded the original, and added colours for lists, and you can see how beautiful vanilla is here.

If you want to check out how other websites look, the thing doesn't seem to handle redirects all that well. And it can't handle pages that don't have a <html> tag.

All this reminds me of another generator I saw a while back. Instead of a graph, it made a kind of plant. It was luckily easy to find: Organic HTML. It favours websites with few tags though. Since it doesn't spread the growths, pages like Vanilla get very dark. However, a phpBB forum gets quite colourful. And check out the plant for the "Websites as graphs" page, it's crazy.

Comments

• WOW, cool things to waste time with.....
  • that was awesome -sincerely, world's strongest millionaire
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    i wrote a dissertation on this stuff at uni. very intersting.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    Damn, while that does like nice in pictures, I have this major hate for everything java and refuse to let it board any of my windows machines. Still looks neat though!
  • Yeah. Perhaps I should have mentioned that. The graph maker is a java applet (made with Processing), and the Organic HTML thing is in Flash. And here, for anyone without Java: an image of the Vanilla graph
This discussion has been closed.