Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Non-Member Browsing?

edited August 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I've installed Vanilla and I have "Allow non-members to browse the forum" checked under Settings, but for some reason I can't see topics in the forums if I'm not logged in. Any ideas?

Comments

• um, guest vs no access vs banned bug.
  • Um... huh? *is a complete Vanilla n00b*
  • someone explain this, i cant type much.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    http://lussumo.com/docs/doku.php?id=vanilla:administrators:privateforum
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    i feel like im filling in docs for nothing now
  • lech, I've already done everything that's described on that page. I still can't get the forums to allow someone who isn't logged in to view discussions.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2005
    are the categories set to allow viewing by all users? /me wanders off to fill that bit in
  • including banned members, sigh

• lechlech Chicagoland
    Well, you need to fill out the hiearchy otherwise you're excluding everyone who's not a member in the closed forum state. So it does make sense from a role perspective.
  • Another approach is to have a guest role, and if someone isn't logged in, they assume this role by default. Then you can set whatever permissions you want across categories, etc. An open forum allows guests to post, a read-only forum allows guests to browse, a closed forum sends "guests" to the member signup form.

• Could someone suggest where I should be poking around if I want to implement the feature that dwclifton described?
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    Create a new user called "guest" with the password of "guest" and you're essentially done. the guest is just a regular member user, with all the abilities that come with any other account as far as I have seen.
  • Had the same problem ... just had to check Banned off so unregistered visitors could view. The heirarchy system makes sense once you think about it. :)
  • I am not sure what the rationale was for Mark to set it up this way, but in all fairness to noobs, roles do not typically work like this. It would make more sense to be able to set permissions in each category for the different role levels such that you could enable viewing, but not posting - or enable nothing to essentially lock that role out of a category. The UI does not really communicate that roles are heirarchical, so that is probably the source of confusion.
  • Assuming you're talking about 0.9.2.6, it is improved a little in 0.9.3. It could be better though. Probably.
  • edited March 2006
    Heirarchies or not, it makes *no* sense for a given user to have higher priviledges when signed out than when signed in.
  • granted. which is fixed for definate in 0.9.3
  • An open forum allows guests to post, a read-only forum allows guests to browse, a closed forum sends "guests" to the member signup form i didn't see this anywhere in settings, open - read only - closed ? ? ? are they actual options or are you only using the words to describe how it works
  • You can make it read only or closed (go to setting->Application Setting->Forum Options).
  • Allowing guest to post--that is an add-on that is still in the conceptual stage ATM. Will start on it when done with Edit in Place and Buy A Drink.
This discussion has been closed.