Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

holy crap you added an atom feed!!!

outbreakoutbreak New
edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
mark i want to have your babies.

is there anyway i can pull a feed from a specific category?

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Not right now, no. Right now it's everything. But I can probably alter it for the next version so it pulls all of your unblocked categories - as long as the installation of Vanilla doesn't allow public browsing, we can swing that.
  • i was thinking it would be awesome if it worked sort of like del.icio.us does with its feed. every different tag you create, it creates a feed for, so in essence, every category you create, it would create a separate feed for.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, I see. I guess that's possible, yeah. Sadly, the feeds are not extensionized at all. But it's not a very difficult change to make - just specifying an extra category id in the querystring would do it.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, and for the record, the atom feed is down on the bottom right next to "bug report"
  • i think that would be the best way to do it. have one general feed when viewing in unblocked mode, and then when you filter, one feed per category.
  • bah mark... firefox cant autofind the feed if you hides it likes dat
  • edited July 2005
    After reading the atomenabled page I still hav no idea what Atom is all about. Is it like an RSS feed thing?
  • Basically, yes. it is
  • yes, patrix... atom is what rss 2.0 should have been. technical comparison: http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/Rss20AndAtom10Compared#major if you're into that sort of thing
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    flc - I was wondering about that. Is there some way to have some kind of meta information about feeds in the head so that applications like firefox can easily find it? Some kind of meta type="syndication" value="url/to/feed"? I'm new to feeds and whatnot.
  • bradybrady New
    edited July 2005
    Mark: put something like this in your <head> tags for the index page: <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" href="http://lussumo.com/community/feeds/?Type=atom" title="Atom feed for My Page" />
  • Feedburner has a service -- Smart Feed -- that takes any feed and turns it into a feed any application can read. More info here:

"SmartFeed transforms your feed to be optimized and readable by this list of feed readers and aggregators, regardless of the source feed's format."
  • what brady said
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    Brady & FLC: I've done it and uploaded here. I've also added it to the app available at getvanilla.com and given the zip a minor version upgrade (0.9.2.2). If you want to have that in your head, download the new zip from getvanilla.com and then copy the new appg/init_internal.php on top of your existing copy.
  • works like a charm

• This thing is just trippy in Opera:

• What about, feeds on comments only & feeds per search? That would be great.
  • I couldn't get the feed to work in Newsfire earlier at work, has anyone else tried that?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    make sure that whatever program you're using supports atom 1.0.
  • edited July 2005
    I couldn't get the feed to work in NetNewsWire 2.0 too (fully supports Atom).
This discussion has been closed.