Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

E-mail List Integration

edited December 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I would like to know if it is currently possible to integrate a Vanilla forum with an e-mail list. One of my clients has such a beast currently, using PHPBB, and I would like to upgrade him to Vanilla, but this is the sticking point: Quite a large part of the community *only* ever access the "forum" with e-mail. They receive a message per post to the forum, and if they reply to that message, their reply creates a new leaf in the discussion. If they send a new message to a particular address, that creates a new topic in the forum, sends out a mail to the list subscribers, and the whole wheel turns again. I have done a fair amount of searching in the support forum and the add-ons database, and have so far not found anything besides a notification add-on which could apparently do half of the job. Is the other half (a mail message creates a topic, a reply creates a leaf in the topic replied to) even possible within the Vanilla World?

Comments

• I'd love to see this put into place, but currently, there is not an option. Highly requested. But not available. Maybe someone can take on the task? : )
  • So basically the forum also acts as a full on mailing list? Hmm, while certainly not for everyone, this is kind of cool. Feel like taking on the mailing list software as well Mark? ;)
  • Mark was actually working on some mailing list software a while back..i dunno how far he got with it though.
  • StashStash
    edited December 2006
    It would be quality to integrate it with Vanilla (and Swell ofc...). The idea of being able to just post into a thread, or just use email interchangeably is fantastic. I don't know of any other mailing software that does this (not that I know a lot about mailing list software...).
This discussion has been closed.