Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How could I create a custom sticky graphic?

Comments

• lechlech Chicagoland
    Mini, what I'm talking about is completely different from 3stripes idea for images and should probably have a topic of it's own. But say you have well over 40 bookmarks (for whatever reason), you can't exactly see them all, can you? clicking on the bookmarks header would just display all the threads you've bookmarked since the begining of time for that forum and display them much like discussions. Certainly you understand that, right?
  • Er, this reminds me...how come when I click "Show All" at the bottom of the history section in the sidebar, I see:
    "Some problems were encountered
    The requested discussion could not be found."

Or should I be asking that somewhere else?
  • I can't see anything stopping you from doing a sticky graphic right this very second. All sticky threads have class="Sticky" so you'd just need to specify a background image or whatever you want in your stylesheet. And you can disable the big text easily in the admin settings panel.
  • hey thanks unipus, totally forgot about the admin panel!
  • yarrr.
  • domdom
    edited July 2005
    The only thing you can't do (I'm guessing, but haven't investigated the underlying HTML) is have multiple images, for when something is more than one of bookmarked/private/sticky, etc.

The only way to solve that is to add extra markup, which isn't great.

edit:

Ok, maybe there is a way. I haven't tried it, and don't have access to a working install from work, so can't try it until I get home, but...

If you were to change the admin options to indicate a sticky discussion with...

<span class="sticky">[Sticky]</span>
    ...then it hopefully won't strip the HTML or anything crazy, and you'd be able to use image-replacement techniques on that span.

Repeat the process for all the other discussion flags, and you could do whatever the hell you like!

Anyone wanting to test this out, go fiddle with the admin options and check out the source code generated, or give us an url to go look at. Failing that, I'll give it a shot when I get home.
  • Is this what you mean, dom? http://gez.int0rw3b.com/forum/ see how i have unipus' icon on the discussion.
  • Well, it may be what I mean, but given that you require registration I couldn't say. Still, I applied for an account, so lemme in to see the goods!
  • oh, i opened it up and approved you now.
  • domdom
    edited July 2005
    Yup, exactly like that. So, we can add HTML into the things, and use CSS to style it. I'll play with some CSS this evening maybe, otherwise tomorrow evening, and show you all how it turns out. edit: If anyone has any particular graphics they think would be nifty to use, then link me up baby, link me up. Otherwise I'll make some shoddy things for testing purposes.
  • The problem is that you dont have very much space in those boxes - though obviously thats a variable thing. But you will have to hack the code a little.
  • p.s. anyone who signs up now has admin incase they wanna try mucking about with any settings
  • Much space in which boxes?
  • go onto the application settings page and look at the box where i put the img tag. then try writing something longer.
  • I would, except... I'm not an admin ._.
  • you should be. you are now
  • Ok, I've made it use the necessary code with some jiggery pokery. The other thing to do is check whether or not there is any need to limit the labels to 30 characters. If not, you could just lift that limit (with the FF webdev toolbar for starters). As for styling, that will require images and time. Both in short supply right now...
  • I'm going to have a proper mess about with all of the above on my install tomorrow... dom... will do some peeling-sticker-style graphics and post them up as well if I have time
  • What Bookmark Graphic do you speak of? On my default installation I get nothing beside / under / over the topic title... What do I have to enable?
  • When you bookmark a thread, you get a cure little bar in the top right of the thread listing, indicating it is bookmarked. Of course, you'd only get that on the Vanilla default style, unless others have included it in theirs. If you still can't see it, I'll take a screenie for you
This discussion has been closed.