Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I have a dream

edited March 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Forum, Blog, Wiki: The trifecta.

He who can deliver these three apps in one seamlessly integrated package is rightwise born King of all England. Hail to the King, baby.

Comments

• wow, lol.
  • "Are all men from the future loud-mouthed braggarts?" "Nope. Just me baby... Just me."
  • Seriously, it shouldn't be that hard.

My needs are humble. For me, most forums, most blogs, most wikis are basically the same.

If phpBB can produce the most complicated freaking forum in the world, and PostNuke can produce the most complicated freaking blog in the world, and MediaWiki can produce the most complicated freaking wiki in the world, then why can't a project produce one lean package that combines simple versions of all three?
  • You said "Hail to the King, baby." which is a quote from "Army Of Darkness", so I replied with another quote. Nothing against your dream.
  • edited March 2007
    No worries, I intended and appreciate the AoD exchange. FYI, The "King of all England" bit was a paraphrase from the "Sam & Max" comics who in turn were surreally paraphrasing the Arthurian legend. In related news, I am a big nerd. The "seriously" is more directed at the legions of PHP coders who insist on continuously re-imagining the basic parts of a website as individual solutions rather than as parts of a whole. No offense intended to Mark, who in my opinion has re-imagined the forum more successfully than anyone before him. I'm just suggesting that we might be running out of meaningful new additions to the forum/blog/wiki concepts and proposing that it's time to get cracking on intelligent ways to make the three work together. I'm also fishing for opinions on the subject, and examples of solutions that I may have overlooked.
  • To be honest I think when swell is released it will tie in pretty closely with vanilla. I've no idea what Marks plans are re:wikis or cms's though.
  • TomTesterTomTester New
    edited March 2007
    Aren't blogs are pretty much the same thing as Forums, just a slightly different UI for users
    as well as presentation of the content?

Vanilla seems to have 95% of what a blog contains (permalinks, users, 'posts' with 'comments')
    and then some...

Hence, I've always expected that Swell would be not much more than a smart interface ('theme')
    over the Vanilla back-end, perhaps with the addition of the usual abundance of 'notification' tools
    like pings, trackbacks, XML-RPC, RSS feeds, etc. to hook it up with the blogosphere.

I'm not a big fan of Wiki's, but... if we add a good comment edit trail/tracking mechanism to
    Vanilla, a single comment could be seen as a wiki page.

Who needs a TriFecta when you have Vanilla? Now go and bring me a shrubbery. Ni! Ni! Ni!
  • I agree with Tom here that Vanilla is pretty much already a Blog and all it really needs is a slightly different UI (a Blog UI) to make it function as one. I'd love to have this and not have to bother with integrating Vanilla into WordPress et al.
  • I like the sound of this. An integrated blog, forum and wiki, with an extra cms touch, simple and easy to use, like vanilla, with a consistens user interface and lots simple of customization built in... that would probably be the perfect platform to build most community websites on. If anyone would manage to do this integration in a natural way, I'm sure it would be a success.

(Hints at Mark.)
  • "If phpBB can produce the most complicated freaking forum in the world, and PostNuke can produce the most complicated freaking blog in the world, and MediaWiki can produce the most complicated freaking wiki in the world, then why can't a project produce one lean package that combines simple versions of all three?" :D
  • ToivoToivo New
    edited March 2007
    dear squirrel what is blog or forum? it's basically a punch of text. It's not the question how you want to read the text (from right to the left or vice versa) but how to find the text. [Deleted a long rant about categories, tags and labels] You could summarize this rant as "I dont know about you but I dont like tags. There has to be a better solution out there in the wild"
  • @Toivo: I don't like tags either, at least not "wild" tags... I *do* like *controlled* tags
    (i.e. limited set, allowing users to 'focus' their posts and perhaps as a replacement of
    subcategories)
This discussion has been closed.