Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

what editor/application you use to code?

Comments

• i used to use notepad, the one that came with windows, was that a pain to diagnose any parse errors, one un escaped quote took forever to find!
  • @Mr Do Yes Zend is awesome, I just cannot seem to get the stupid Zend Platform to work with Zend Studio so i can do remote debugging. I dunno Zend Studio doesn't work without it. There is no reason for the two to be tied together. Plus going all opensource route is good. Oh just for ur information. PDT Eclipse is made by Zend. Which really bugged Phpeclipse project, after Eclipse people made PDT official PHP plugin and dumped Phpeclipse.
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited April 2007
    I've recently switched to Eclipse + FTD for coding Actionscript.

It's 20x times better than using Flash or other text editors to write AS... tons of error-reporting, highlighting, syntax prompting etc etc.

The rest of the time I use Smultron for day to day html/css coding on my Mac.
  • I forgot to mention CSSEdit in my own list.
    Also for some specific needs: Amaya.
  • I have a gaming keyboard, the Logitech G11. It has a total of 54 programmable macro keys. Intended to use for gaming but I do both, gaming and coding.
    Say you need an if statement
    if(1 == 1) { echo 'blah'; } else { echo 'blah blah'; }
    I don't have to type it all out, I have it set as one of my macro keys, bam! Press one key and it spits all that out. It really kicks ass. I've got tons of code programmed into those keys, really a timesaver, and it has the functions I need/want. Lets say I am doing a new project, I can redo the keys for code specific to that project, on the fly.
  • BBEdit here too. I've been using it for a good ten years, so it feels like home.
  • edited April 2007
    I hear most people say anyone that uses an IDE or anything with a GUI is for girls.

Anything that uses a mouse is for girls. Real men use Vi. *flex*

Seriously, I know maybe 10% of Vim and I can do tricks that make VS weep with shame.
  • Textpad ++, PHP Developer 2006
  • I use jEdit myself. It's pretty flexible and is also portable, so I can use it on any machine/OS with a JVM. I'd certainly like to check some of those others out, would anyone mind mentioning which are portable? (Space is not an issue with a 160GB 2.5" drive...)
  • Is there a PHP de-bugger that works in OS X?

Posted: Monday, 16 April 2007 at 7:34PM

• Squirrel, what is Vi? Maybe I am a little reterded in new technologies, so please clarify.. thanks
  • Vi is more of an old technology... Created in 1976 infact. :-)
  • It's all about the Notepad++ on Windows. On Linux, I stick with pico/nano (simplicity). I have friends who swear by vi, but I think my brain just works differently from the users vi is targetted toward.
  • Max_BMax_B New
    edited April 2007
    vi is old…
    …but still of invaluable help for remote server admin through ssh
  • It took me quite a while to gather the right set of programming and working tools on my Mac, and I wasted far too many hours trying out different text editors, ftp clients, IDEs, WYSIWYG packages, etc. - from totally open source, to full-on commercial. I now have a working setup using these 3 tools, which is excellent, professional and comfortable. I hope this may spare others working on a Mac, who need to find good tools, and who may not have the time to search for days on end, as I did.

I use the venerable Cyberduck ftp client, to access the files directly on the server. Using Cyberduck, double-clicking on a file on the server will download it, and open it in your favourite editor. Once the editor saves the file, Cyberduck automatically uploads the changes for you. It feels just like editing the files 'live' on the server. Cyberduck is open source.

To actually edit the html and php files I use Textmate, mentioned above by Schizo. It takes quite a while to get used to it, and to start taking full advantages of all its editing shortcuts, but once you do, it's magic. And to my knowledge, there is absolutely nothing that compares to it on Mac OS X for programming on Ruby. Texmate is far from free - it's actually the most expensive text editor I came across on my travels. However, unfortunately, it really does a &^%*ing great job, so if you make money out of coding, the cost should be worthwhile.

For working with CSS, in my experience nothing compares to CSSEdit. It is an inexpensive shareware package, that allows you to 'steal' and override CSSs from live sites, visually edit the CSSs, and see the results on live preview. It also allows you to visually select the individual elements of an html page, and see their html hierarchy, as well as what styles have been applied to it. It actually makes it FUN to troubleshoot those pesky CSS problems, and to play around with different CSS configs and settings on a site. It even has its own minimalist 'version control' system built right-in! It is fantastic value for money, and I cannot recommend it enough.

So there! I hope this helps!
  • well, it means i really AM retarded in technologies... :).. looked through the wiki page for vi, but still don't get it... you press the screen or what?

p.s. notepad ++ is the best..
  • mattmatt ✭✭
    TextMate for everything
  • I've tried plenty of editors, and found Crimson Editor to be my favourite... apart from the colours are better in Notepad ++, but of course you can easily change colours. In Notepad++, I found the arrows which fold code really annoying and in the way, I never use that feature and couldn't find anyway to hide it. Just interested: what features does notepad++ offer that makes it superior to crimson?
  • Notepad++ !!!!!!!!
  • highlight problem@ chimaira: for me, i have always wanted my editor to see the end of functions, xml/xhtml elements, and css declarations... so, i guess that thing that which fold code (if that's what i think it is) really IS the advantage over crimson for me.. it can hide pieces of code which are within some entity, i.e. a function or a statement, or a tag,,, i think its very useful... this is the only thing why i have 3-4 days ago switched from crimson to n++..

@ all: experienced n++ users, how do i highlight a piece of code, which is a straight rectangle? like in the image to your right? in crimson, you just click and turn on/off the mode, which is in the main menu,,, so, how do i do it in n++?

thanks

This discussion has been closed.