Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Why does it not work?

edited June 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I want to warn people that a directory is being modified and re-direct them to another page, telling them to come back later.

I'm doing this by putting a file called "locked_y.txt" in the directory then checking with this...

<?php $filename = "locked_y.txt"; if (file_exists($filename)) { header("Location: otherpage.php"); exit; } else { exit; } ?>

Why do I get this error...
The page isn't redirecting properly
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

Posted: Thursday, 31 May 2007 at 3:01PM

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Is "otherpage.php" residing within the same directory in question? Off the top of my head, I believe that the header location best works when you give it an actual address rather than a file which is relative to the current location. The only other reason for weirdness being experienced is funky rewrite rules which are either going full circle or recursing.
  • Options
    Yes thanks lech, the file is there in the same directory.
    I don't see what is so different but this now works...
    <?php $filename = 'locked_y.txt'; if (file_exists($filename)) { header("Location: otherpage.php"); exit; } else { echo""; }

Is there a better way to tell PHP do do nothing besides echo ""?

Posted: Thursday, 31 May 2007 at 4:33PM

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I guess that depends how you're using this snippet, if it's a stand-alone script you could do a simple return else flush/clean before you exit();
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The redirect value must be a full url.
  • Options
    I don't think so, it works as it is.
    If I enter a full URL it tells me it does not have the permissions to access it, or words to that effect.

Posted: Thursday, 31 May 2007 at 8:59PM

• Options
    I think it should: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.30
  • Options
    Don't want to totally derail this discussion but Lech I've got a question. Is Lech pronounced like "letch" or "lech" with a "ck" sound?
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I think you asked me this a while ago when you first joined up, Krak. With the "ck" like in "deck" just drop the D for an L. My nephews call me Lex (super man + bald uncle = do the math) and that's an acceptable alternative compared to the other butchered pronunciations I've heard since memory has served me :)

But yes, that's my name.

@ Wanderer: Did you get it working? Dinoboff is pretty much right that the header response should be a full URL, unless you're attempting an absolute path on the file system which would obviously be saying you can't access it otherwise it would just say "404 - oops". Unless of course you're actually wanting an inclusion and not a redirect/refresh. See http://www.php.net/header
  • Options
    KrakKrak New
    edited June 2007
    lol I probably did. I'll wait another year or two and ask again.
  • Options
    Yes I got it working.
    The problem was not the file not being found, it was some sort of recursion according to the error messages from both Firefox and Safari.

I used a relative path because the function was an include and referred to a file of the same name but different directories, depending on where it was called from.

Posted: Saturday, 2 June 2007 at 3:46PM

This discussion has been closed.