Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Translation Techniques and stuff

edited November 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi, i noticed some problems with addon translation.
First of all I think current addons should use
$Context->SetDefinition('StringID', 'String');
instead of
$Context->Dictionary['StringID'] = 'String'
as described in the Documentation here:
vanilla:administrators:languages

If done so i can easy translate their strings by adding
$Context->Dictionary['StringID'] = 'String'
to my conf/language.php file.

If I'm wrong about that please correct my thoughts.

Anyway, I would like to share my (german) addon translations so that other people can use it. I suspect packing it in the german language file might not be a good choice as the file might grow quite large. So i see two ways of distribution:
1. Using a Thread for every language and collect addon translations.
2. Post a comment to the actual addon with a translation

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Just my .02€ : we could use the wiki and an appropriate namespace structure for this. There's the great translation plugin that Andi uses on the mother site (see it in action).

Let's use vanilla:addons_translation as the base namespace, every page in it (like vanilla:addons_translation:guestpost) would have a corresponding page in orther namespaces like vanilla:addons_translation:fr:guestpost, vanilla:addons_translation:de:guestpost...

Main issues would be:
    1) it's not files, it's text, so we'll have to copy-paste. Not a big one to me, because I think that contributing would be easier.
    2) we need Mark to install the DokuWiki plugin
This discussion has been closed.