Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SMTP help

LenLen
edited April 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Okay...this is probably an incredibly stupid question; but how do I know/find out what my SMTP settings are?

Comments

• Chances are you wont need them. Otherwise you'd be best asking your host.
  • When I approve a new member I get fatal error messages...unable to authenticate... I figured it's because of that.
  • Len, I tried every SMTP setting under the sun, even empty like some suggested, the only one that works is my gmail account.

smtp.gmail.com:465 (with your own username and password of course)

Try it.
  • I tried what you suggested Wanderer, but instead of getting a fatal error message, it just times out. I'll at least chalk it up to "making progress" I suppose...
  • Wanderer, I tried using the gmail SMTP settings you suggested, and got the following results:

A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
    An error occurred while sending the email.
    Affected Elements
    Email.ServerParse();

The error occurred on or near: Couldn't get mail server response codes.

Any Suggestions?
  • ok, i know this is kinda dumb, bu ti never used SMTP, so i dunno what it is so can some one help me understand what it is?
  • I bet you have used it, you just didn't know it...

SMTP
    Pronounced as separate letters, short for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, a means of sending email messages between servers. Most email systems that send mail over the Internet use SMTP to send messages from one server to another.

The messages can then be retrieved with an email client using either POP or IMAP. In addition, SMTP is generally used to send messages from a mail client to a mail server. This is why you need to specify both the POP or IMAP server and the SMTP server when you configure your email application.
  • oh i see thanks for letting me know so it is like the same thing as POP i have heard of that one but how do we use it in vanilla?
  • It's used every time the Vanilla system sends an email ("new forum applicant"... etc)
  • oh i see
    that makes scene
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.