Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Help with Japanese language, willing to pay..

edited January 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi there. First of all, I looked at the UTF-8 documentation someone on this board linked in similar threads but I could not seem to get this going. Whenever I type in Japanese characters they are displayed ???? when posted. I'm not a coder or a good user of mysql(database?) so I need help trying to get this working in Japanese so that the characters are displayed correctly. I'm willing to pay a small amount of $ via paypal anyone can help on this. Thank you. ありがと。

Comments

• hi,
    I contributed to most of utf-8 topics here and also wrote the wiki documentation page.
    I have not much spare time right now, but if you mail me a login to your sql/php server, I'll have a quick look. My mail is public on my profile page.
  • Thanks emailed.
  • Max_BMax_B New
    edited December 2007
    For the record and other folks in the same situation:
    The forum installation were is the "weird" state (using wiki tutorial chart). Because the provider is using cPanel by default and this one does not offer encoding setting, the database was latin-1. Launching phpMyAdmin from the cPanel home page, and setting the database to utf-8 was the missing step.
    Vanilla being correctly set up, Japanese characters were lost because there is no equivalent in latin-1.
    Correction was simply to apply the steps outlined in the wiki tutorial.
  • Andy KAndy K
    edited January 2008
    Max B: You are a wonderful, wonderful person.

I've been wanting to start a Japanese Vanilla install to complement www.story-games.com for a while, but have historically had problems with UTF-8 characters with MySQL. I finally figured out myself the DB side, but you totally filled out my knowledge (with your wiki KB article) for the php4/application side (specifically with Vanilla, too), as well as MySQL prep steps (setting the global encoding in advance in phpMyAdmin so you don't have to go back and re-edit all data).

My requirements, before I proceeded further with the design and creation of such a board, was to understand and be able to easily replicate a complete dump and restore operation that preserves UTF-8 characters, which until now has not been successful. I sometimes change providers and not getting it right means that I would have no recovery if something bad happened. Because of your help and your wiki page, I was able to do so.

Daisukey: Over the next two weeks or so I'm going to write my own methodology for mysql dumps and restores of a Japanese DB. If you're interested, I'll forward it to you as well.

Thanks!
    -Andy
  • This was what enable me to get things going! http://lussumo.com/docs/doku.php?id=vanilla:administrators:encodings
  • Hey Andy. Mine was a flash install so it was not hard to make it compatible with Japanese language. MAX_B helped me out on this.

I have uploaded a new Japanese language addon for eveyone to use. ;)
This discussion has been closed.