Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla-powered Sites

edited May 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help

I didn't want to dig this story up from the grave, but I think Vanilla promotion is a great asset to the thriving community.

I just found out that Honda has a vanilla-powered forum over here: Honda Forum.

Any other interesting, high-profile sites using Vanilla? Here's my Google Search for Vanilla Forums.

This is not a thread to showcase your own Vanilla site, but a search to find popular sites that use Vanilla. (Of course, if your Vanilla site is popular, you can certainly link it here.)

Comments

• No Lussumo credit that I can see on the Honda forum!
  • edited April 2008
    *shun,* I feel like emailing Honda! Isn't it somewhere in the TOS that Lussumo must be given credit?
  • I know it says in the source code that the line making that banner shouldn't be removed. Not sure if it says that in the TOS.

Also, a quick glance at the source code clearly indicates it's a Vanilla-powered forum, despite it's lack of banner (specifically the lines defining the stylesheets).

Still looking for high-profile installations of Vanilla...
  • or you can add /setup/ to the url, and it brings up a setup page for vanilla 1.1.2
  • edited April 2008
    I just found another what looks to be fairly popular on CSS Beauty, check out their SkillShare Forum. This is one I just stumbled across while browsing.
  • edited April 2008
    Vanilla is GPL. I doubt that any "don't remove this banner" clauses are enforceable.

Heh, the banner is in the Honda forum HTML but it's set to display:none in CSS. How very l33t.

Perhaps not so l33t... They're only using 1.1.2 if you want to hack in and restore the banner. Be sure to upgrade them to 1.1.4 while you're in there.
  • It's only right to give credit where it's due imo.
  • edited April 2008
    I seem to be finding all these myself :-/

On top of finding a new CMS (PureEdit) I also discovered their forum is powered by Vanilla! Check out the PureEdit Community. It's not the best looking theme but maybe they're still working on it...
  • Hmm, I guess it's just their that makes it look weird to me. Seems to be too much whitespace in the Discussions for my eyes.
  • Ah, there's also VirbRocks.com. It's powered by a multiple vanilla setup with their own config files but the same DB. If i can also remember I had something set up to make multiple vanilla installations.
  • wow, they hacked the hell out of it.
  • actually it didn't take much for me to create it... all you need to know was how to use the information already in the theme files
  • My forum that I administrator is using vanilla. I made the switch from the phpbb to vanilla and we are glad we made the switch. I cant stop singing great praise to the forum. We haven't had and of the spam we had on the old forum thanks for honeypot extension. We now have a small active communty with more posts in two months since we switched to vanilla from the 5 months we had the old forum. Thanks for making great extensions and great forum software. Rocco Anderson Forum Admin forum.chadamgames.com
  • I use the CAPTCHA addon in conjunction with the honeypot CAPTCHA. The traditional CAPTCHA makes the users feel like its secure, and gives the hackers something to do, while the honeypot stops them dead in their tracks after a while of trying to crack the traditional one. I say a while, because we all know that no CAPTCHA is perfect.
  • We went from 100-200 spam a day with the old forum now we have 0 spam since switching over. It is really good.
  • http://forums.freelanceswitch.com/ They use vanilla, but they removed the link back to here :( (they could at least make a powered by vanilla button or something)
This discussion has been closed.