Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Settings panel won't appear, Vanilla gets list of errors when the back button is clicked.

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I recently changed servers and having desired to preserve my forum's posts, i backed up the sql database. Then I performed a fresh install of vanilla on the new server, ran an upgrade, dropped all of the vanilla tables in phpmyadmin, uploaded the backup file. Unfortunately, on the new installation, there are two glitches. The forum works fine, unless the back button is used to return to the main discussion page. That breaks it. I get a laundry list of errors that have a similar format: Warning: main(/home/dylapoo/domains/dadgev.org/web/public/vanilla/library/Vanilla.Discussion.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/.samarra/dyl/dadgev.org/vanilla/index.php on line 15 The first line shows a remnant from my old server, which I thought that I had completely changed over (settings.php is set for the correct .samarra install). The last line is the correct path. Furthermore, the account, discussions, search and categories tabs work fine--just the Settings tab is broken. When I click it I get a blank page. What could be wrong? Where might the last remnants of the old domain's path be hiding? In the sql tables?

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    First things first, I would suggest (if you have or can recall) comparative phpinfo(); between the old server and new. php version number difference or something along those lines. Double check all your file permissions in the /appg/ folder, chmod 0666 and all that good stuff. Second, I'm hoping you've restored everything file-wise the way it was on the first server, otherwise that can lead to some files and settings not being found leading to some cascading errors. If I could help further dig into the DB I would, however my server decided to take a crap on me tonight while I was working :/
  • Options
    Well, this server is php 4 and the last server was php 5. The file permissions are all good. The files are all restored as their were on the last server. Thanks for the quick reply.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Hmmm, curious what you used to back up the DB, was it the cleanup extension itself, or via something like a manual/phpmyadmin dump? I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but if you've been running previous versions before the current one, I'm guessing some DB rewrites between versions might have gotten left out.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    aka, your dumped sql is missing some creating info.
  • Options
    *rushes to get phpMyAdmin docs finished, so that I can possibly help out here*
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    The errors are to do with the system paths, so I highly doubt it has anything to do with mysql. If the paths in your appg/settings.php file are correct, then it looks to me like there is some kind of strange caching going on. Are you going through a proxy server of any kind?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, and can you whisper me a username/password so I can check it out myself?
  • Options
    >> The errors are to do with the system paths, so I highly doubt it has anything to do with mysql. I know, but there is a reference to phpMyAdmin, so, people are using it WITHOUT documentation. That is where I come in.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited August 2005
    I don't follow how phpMyAdmin could cause problems with Vanilla. The two are completely unrelated.

In answer to dylapoo's question:

What could be wrong? Where might the last remnants of the old domain's path be hiding? In the sql tables?

No, there are no paths stored in the database. All absolute paths like that are in the appg/settings.php file.
  • Options
    Sorry for not making myself clear. I know it could not be the problem, but I told Lech I would do the docs for phpMyAdmin, and I have not yet finished them. This just reminded me of it. It is apparent that people are using it, not just the command line, so I think it is important it gets done.
  • Options
    /me strokes nathan and passes mark a beer.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Okay, I took a look at your forum, and I wasn't able to duplicate the "back button" error. Everything works fine for me - which leads me to believe that either the problem has corrected itself (like a proxy server updating to the latest version) or it is local to you. Have your members seen the error? The other error is more difficult to track down. The best way to go about finding out what's wrong without using a remote debugger is to open up the settings.php file and start from the top. Place an echo of some kind (like echo("test1");) at the top of the file. Then view the page and see if your test1 text shows up. If it does, then continue line by line moving your echo down. Move into any includes that come along and start from the top and keep jumping down the page past other commands as they are called. Eventually you'll be able to narrow down where the page dies - and we can tell you how to fix it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the assistance Mark. I want to try to the debug thing, but I don't know which settings.php is the one used in the tabbed panel.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    the one in the root of Vanilla.
This discussion has been closed.