Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Delete all comments sent by a user (spam)

edited January 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi First time I got spammed. A genuine user decided to spam my forum by adding links to his website advertising wedding invitations! It must have taken him a long time if he has done this manually. About 100 comments he posted the same text. I searched for an extension to get rid of these messages and I found Auto Hide, I recently upgraded to 1.1.5a from 0.9.x installed the add on caused some issues on the forum. I think all I need to is write and sql query to select all comments posted by spammers user account and remove these entries from DB. I am using CPANEL to manage my hosting site, I do not have my own server. Can someone advise me how to remove these spam messages from my forum please? My forum link is www.burak.me.uk/forum Thanks Burak

Comments

• Options
    Come on guys, I am waiting for an update. Thanks Burak
  • Options
    It's pretty old, but you can try the Delete User extension.

Alternatively, it will take a while, but you can do a search for all comments by the user and then delete them there. Slow but thorough.

Example: All comments by sirlancelot
  • Options
    Well if you know your way around MySQL you can look in the User table and find out his ID, then delete all rows from the Comment table where AuthUserID equals his ID
  • Options
    I am working on php code to write these queries. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the idea SubJunk.
  • Options

Recently we had to deal with a spammer who was focused on us specifically and so he manually activated his account and started spamming with a script overnight. It is a pain to manually delete all posts of the user/s. Please consider this feature again as it is very useful in such cases. Thanks! :)