Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Conf [Installation]

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
OK just uploaded all the files to my server and I've enabled PHP and MySQL and such, but in the first step of installation I get the following error:

We came across some problems while checking your permissions...
Failed to create the 'e:/inetpub/esvc000414/conf/database.php' configuration file. The system reported the following message:
failed to open stream: Permission denied
Failed to create the 'e:/inetpub/esvc000414/conf/extensions.php' configuration file. The system reported the following message:
Failed to create the 'e:/inetpub/esvc000414/conf/language.php' configuration file. The system reported the following message:
Failed to create the 'e:/inetpub/esvc000414/conf/settings.php' configuration file. The system reported the following message:

So I suppose it has something to do with write privileges, because the files don't exist in the folder, but I wouldn't know.
So how would I go about installing this? I've enabled writing privileges for all folders for the time being, but it hasn't changed anything.
I'll give you a cookie if you can help :3

Comments

• Vanilla 1.1.9 by the way
  • You havent got the dir writable :)
  • What is the site name ?
  • www.malfunction.net.au
  • I've tried a few things but I can't get it to work. Seriously need some help here.
    How exactly do I make the "dir" writable Vflix?
  • FUUUUU-
    Guys, anybody want to help lol?
  • You need to add writable permissions for the e:/inetpub/esvc000414/conf/ folder. If you usually FTP into the server, most FTP programs will offer a way to easily do that. You want to set chmod for only that folder to 777.
    If you tell us which FTP program you use we can probably give you detailed instructions, or you could Google it
  • edited October 2009
    I'm using FileZilla, but whenever I try to change it, it just goes back. I dunno what's going on exactly.
    Thanks for helping by the way. You deserve a cookie :D
  • First, is there a reason you say to chmod 777? I chmod my folders to 755 as it adds a LOT more security. Heck, even chmod 775 would be better! 777 allows ANYONE to write to the folder. This is an obvious and extreme security hazard. I'm not sure if you might have special conditions which require 777 permissions, but I've never seen anything where that is the case. The only thing I can think of is if that folder is owned by a user:group which the install script does not recognize. That would be fixed either by editing the install script or chowning the directory. 777 should almost never be used, especially in situations like this.

Malfunction, it might be possible that your web host is somehow preventing you from changing permissions. Do you have shell/telnet/ssh access to your server? If so, you should be able to get in and view the user:group ownership, as well as chmod the folder(s).

If this does not work, I would suggest contacting your host to see if one of their admins can resolve the problem.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks argith! I was just doing what SubJunk was saying with the 777.
    Just to clarify what's happening:

I right click on the folder and click "File Permissions..."

http://www.truploader.com/uploads/465190fileattributes1.JPG

Change it to 777 or 755

http://www.truploader.com/uploads/874931fileattributes2.JPG

When I open it up again, the permissions are back to normal, and the error still occurs in the installation.
    Check it on www.malfunction.net.au

So I've been looking through the mission control for anything about shell, telnet or ssh (maybe you mean ssl?) but I can't find anything. If there's anything you can add before I contact the webhost about this, that'd be helpful.
    Thanks again :D
  • Malfunction, regarding 777 vs 755, I wasn't getting onto you. That comment was directed toward SubJunk. :)

Also, SSL is the Secure Socket Layer. Basically, it's HTTPS. That's irrelevant.

If you couldn't find any way to gain shell access to the server, then the best course of action is probably contact your host. I can't think of anything else. Sorry! Someone else might chip in, though.
  • Just to add another comment, it could be possible that you are not the owner of the file. If you don't own the file, you can't change the permissions on it. I know it sounds ridiculous for you to NOT be the owner, but this can happen. Still, you'd have to call your host.
  • Lol ok. Thank you so much for your help man. Best answer yet.
    I'll call my host and see what they can do.
    Thanks again :D
  • No problem! Don't forget to let us know what you find out. I'm interested in this also.