Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to get Category titles??

edited November 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is it possible to have the latest discussions divided by category with category tiles.

Example:

Category 1 (title with link to category)

- discussion 1

- discussion 2

- discussion 3

Category 2

- discussion 1

- discussion 2

- discussion 3

I think most of forum software have this option and it would make browsing the forum more easier.

Comments

• I don't think It does make "browsing the forum easier".

You see the latest discussions for all categories by default. If you want to see a particular category, just select this one and you'll get the lastest for that category.

• edited November 2009
    hmmm....maybe easier for you...
    but if you have a busy forum, most posts will be hidden..

Lets say you have 6 categories, and the visitor want to see the 5 latest posts in each category...

Means you would have to click 6 times to see each category...

Not very user friendly i most say...
    Check any other forum software to see what i mean.
  • And if you have a busy forum, even with your proposed solution, most will be hidden and it doesn't really help.

Anyway, it can't be done with a vanilla vanilla.

I've been on real busy forums, and greatly prefer the way vanilla or metaforum displays stuff (latest one first with all categories thrown in) than the like of phpbb or smf with their many categories with at most the latest one in each category displayed.
  • I see your point. I guess it depends what you are used to.
    If you are used to see the categories divided than you want it to look same everywhere..

I think i can get used to the way vanilla is displaying the posts, but i just wonder about the Announcements above the General discussions.

How to set it up in vanilla? Or is this some custom code?
  • The announcement are vanilla 2

In v1, you can put stickies.