Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Free hosts that vanilla 2 works on :D

kaoskaos New
edited December 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Ok i have been inactive that is because i have been revising for exams and generally been away on hols back now and so i have been promoted to moderator :D

here is a list of freehosts that vanilla2 works on......

host2x.com

here is a list of paidhosts that vanilla2 works on......

If you know any either post here or pm me :D when i get enough i shall make stickey so people can see :D

Comments

• There is no such thing as a free lunch...

I cant understand why people want to run a dynamic website with a database on free hosting. You are not going to get much (read: any) support and you are not likely to have backups.

Free hosting providers will have their config's locked down so tight it will make the setup difficult and its not likely to handle much load. If someone is cutting corners on hosting, they are probably not going to be doing regular database and file backups - and one day the free host might loose all the data or disappear and their website is gone, forever, just like that.

You've got to ask yourself why the hosting is free - I mean, there are bandwidth bills, electricity bills, hardware costs, salaries and other overheads to pay for... How can this be offered for free?

If anyone is serious about wanting to run a website/forums you should really get a paid posting plan, even if its just $5/month. If thats not an option or you want to "test the water", I'd recommend setting up your forums on somewhere like www.vanillaforums.com and seeing how it goes.

Personally, I'd be looking to spend $20/month upwards on my hosting, but maybe I'm a "hosting snob". Maybe some of the free hosts out there are good, but they will be abused by people, thats the nature of offering something for free on the internet.

If your not in a position to pay for hosting, either find someone who is to join you in setting up a community/website or put it on a birthday or christmas list.

Just my two cents.. If someone is running a successful website on free hosting, great, I hope it continues for you!
  • Here is what i get for clicking the 100% FREE link on host2x.com:

Error 403 (Forbidden)
    Please contact the site owner about this error.

and a fat google ad banner...

hmmmm
  • I'm running it free on x10hosting.com. They have pretty good free hosting.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2009
    I respectfully submit that if you are seeking free hosting for Vanilla 2, you'd be far better off using VanillaForums.com than using some fly-by-night "free hosting service."
  • We dont offer free hosting do we?
  • Oh yeh sirry