HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Why haven't you pick the Zend Framework ?

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hey guys,
I am new to Vanilla, I was looking for an open source and well-written forum board that allows me to implement a SSO feature. I ran into the code of Garden/Vanilla and it seems that you use your own framework, Garden for instance. So here is my question : why did you choose to create your own framework ? The Zend Framework didn't fit your needs at the time ? I am just curious because I am a Zend Framework user and when I looked your code, it was obvious to me that the Zend Framework would have been a very good choice since it offers most of the features you wrote.

Could you explain me why you chose to create a framework from scratch ?

Regards,
Gabriel.

Comments

• The same question could apply to you, why did you pick the zend framework and not like cakephp or codeigniter... (list goes on). I assume you chose it because it worked in a way you felt comfortable with and was coded in a manner that you thought was nicer than the other frameworks. I would assume that the same was true for garden/vanilla. I'm not trying to speak for Mark, but i would imagine if your going to create a large application knowing the source code that your basing off would be a necessity. I'm sure it makes licensing easier as you will not have to abide by the license set by another framework as well.
  • Sure I understand that, yet I asked because when I looked Garden code it seemed very similar to the Zend Framework in term of structure and functionalities.

Thanks for the reply.
  • From what I understand, Garden is a framework targeting PHP5 specifically, so from that standpoint it has a lot less redundant code compared to other multitargeted frameworks. Personally when I used Zen, the learning curve was extremely high, and the performance was really really bad, but that's slowly getting better. You'll probably find that Garden has a different set of goals and ideals, compared to something as broadly reaching as Zen, even though they may be similar in features/structure.