Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Invitations

edited December 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm running a small Vanilla 2 forum as a test with some friends. We recently started getting shown in search results from google, so we decided to turn the forum private (as I said, it's a test). One thing is that I set the forum to be invite only for registrations, so we can control who would join. But the option to send invitation emails only appears for the admin users. I tried giving privileges to a bunch of the options for the member role, but none seemed to do the trick. Is there some combination of privileges I need to grant so normal members can send invites?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey Ezra,
    Unfortunatly I have no answer to your question, but on the initial problem [ie showning up in searches]
    Might be good to include a robots.txt file

User-agent: *

Disallow:
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on the robots.txt file. I don't know why I didn't think about that.

I'd still like to know about the invitation system, if anybody knows about that. As we would like to make sure that we control who registers.
  • Options
    Hi @ezra,

I think there is a bug in the "Registration" section in the admin panel.

If you open up your /conf/config.php file and try setting:

And look for a line that looks like:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles'] = 'arr:{"8":"0","16":"0"}';

Try changing it to:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles'] = 'arr:{"8":"-1","16":"-1"}';

Which should allow unlimited invites for members and administrators.

I guess its worth a shot to see if it works as a temporary fix until someone pin-points the problem in the administration panel.
  • Options
    That did it! Thanks a lot, benno!
  • Options
    No problem, I'll try and have a look into the administration panel later and find out why its not working then either provide a fix or a file a bug report.
  • Options
    Looking into it further there appears to be a missing closing table tag in the registration.php view. This caused rendering issues in IE.

It seems to work ok in Firefox, allowing you to change/tweak the settings through the administration. Select "Registration" under "Users" and change the "Invertations per month" at the bottom.